Help analyze pH swing

Brian71583

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me diagnose and dial things in. Also tell me if this pH swing is "Good Enough"

Backstory: I built a reef-pi about a year ago. I set up my pH feature around this past Christmas and never calibrated my probe. I know, I can hear you! Never had a problem with it but was never chasing any numbers until recently when I upgraded my lighting to what I could grow corals with. Then I started Kalk dosing. It took me a while to get settings correct and what seemed like good numbers although I could never get my pH above 8.1. Forget what my Alkalinity number was but it was good. Maybe 11 or 12. I forget. 2 weeks ago I hit Reef-a-Palooza and grabbed some nice frags and they have been great.

My LFS has one of the Aquaspin tests and every few months I'll take a sample in just to verify my own tests/monitors/results. Well I don't know how anything was alive because my pH probe was off and I hadn't checked Alkalinity in a while. pH was 8.8 and Alkalinity was 19.

Needless to say I ordered solution and calibrated my probe QUICK. After cutting my Kalk dosing literally in 1/2 and doing a 25% water change I am where I should be. Alkalinity is about 8.5-9 which I want to bring up JUST A LITTLE and pH is right at or below 8.4

Can you guys look at these graphs and give me some insight please (Ignore the earthquake at the beginning that was right after calibrating and then putting it back into the tank and then doing a water change)

These pH graphs are all the same I just have the cursor at different points to highlight the times and values.

In the first pH curve you'll see that from about 7:30pm to 2:30am I dip about .1

All the way up to 1:00 in the afternoon I stay steady at that 8.3ish but at 1:00 I begin to ramp up a full .1 in 4.5 hours but you can also see that peak already begins to wane an hour and a half later at 6:00PM

My lighting schedule 8:00am blues come on and ramp up to 100% at about 11:00am which at the same 11:00am point my whites begin their ramp to 100% at about Noon. Whites begin their hour ramp down at about 4:00pm to 0% at 5:00pm. Blue stay on till about 10:00 Pm but the ramp down isn't visible in this graph.

My dosing schedule is also shown but I'll break it down
It shows seconds but each second is about 1ml

Midnight to 8:00am I dose full saturation Kalk at about 15ml/hour.
9:00am to 3:00pm I dose about 10ml/hour
4:00pm back to Midnight I am back at the same 15ml/hour

It looks like my peak coincides with my white lights. Is a .1 dip OK for a reef tank. Not sure if I should try and "fix" this or leave well enough alone. If you were to play with it what would you recommend.

1pH230AM.jpg 2ph1PM.jpg 3ph430pm.jpg 4LightSchedule.jpg 5Doserschedule.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long did it take to bring the alk from 19 down to 9? That's a pretty large swing.

The pH fluctuations don't look bad at all. Several of the successful Acro keepers I talk to have pH swings of .3-.5 daily.

I don't monitor pH so I can't speak from personal experience. Hopefully others weigh in.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What kinds of corals do you have in your tank?

OP
OP
B

Brian71583

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don’t know what some are lol. I picked cheap pretty ones.

I knew I had the light and flow. I have everywhere between 100 and 500par and have a wide variety of flow.

I have a few variety of zoas, some paly, Firework cloves, BTA, Maxima clam,

I have a candy cane that looked to start receding on its stem during the alkalinity spike,

I have a birds nest that all but completely died. I bought it before my lighting upgrade but has since started to come back.

There’s 4 frags I don’t know what they are but are doing well.

The color in the pic is tough because of the blues. In the pic you can see the candy cane (with the receding stem) the other 4 are what I don’t know what they are but are doing well.

The closest birdsnest-like thing is blue. The one behind it is red/maroon

Attachments

• 2D9AA694-C94E-43CD-9189-4F36851219D7.jpeg
    2D9AA694-C94E-43CD-9189-4F36851219D7.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 25

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, the blue thing could be a Stylophora possibly. Alkalinity spikes can be hard on anything, most of what you listed are hardier. Birdsnest are stupid. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I've been keeping reef tanks for several years now after about a 10 year break. The last two months I finally have a surviving Birdsnest - supposedly one of the easiest SPS. Hopefully everything is good after bringing the Alk down.

I try to run my system around 9 dKh (just because that's where I'm comfortable). I checked it one time and found I was over 12 - lost 1 acro out of 11. I dropped it to 8.9 over the course of a week mainly because I didn't know how fast it went up and didn't want to double down on the stress.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I personally do not consider the size of the pH swing to be important, except as an indicator of degree of aeration and a big swing may mean O2 is getting low at night.

Otherwise, I only consider the nightly low pH to be the important aspect of the swing, and being below 7.8 is a concern, IMO.

I discuss pH issues here:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back