Help! Crack in hammer coral skeleton

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my hammer not opening up all the way like it used to since a couple weeks ago. Last night, 4 hours after the lights turned off, i went down to look in the tank when the corals have all shrunk to see if i can see anything. And i noticed a a 3-way crack in my hammer.Its all shrivelled in the pic cause the lights went out 4 hours ago and it looks like this when theres no lights on. I bought it as 2 branch frag, one branch with 2 heads still stuck together and the other branch had 3 heads stuck together and you could tell they were all gonna split soon which it did few months later. So now ive got 5 full heads. Things were going great up until recently. If im not mistaken it started not opening up as big as usual like 3 weeks ago? But i only saw the crack last night. Any reason as to why theres a crack? Im pretty sure the crack is making my hammer not open fully like it used to.

Attached photos are pics of the coral withthe crack, a drawing of the crack so you guys can kinda get what im talking about, and what the coral normally looks like when fully open. I know my drawing looks like something else LOL.

9515A1D4-A4DD-4E91-BFC5-EFF5780A002F.jpeg 5D13A9A5-403D-414C-A19F-75B1EA9E60DF.jpeg 7CB09501-7F08-4320-967E-EB531B6F581B.jpeg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your drawing looks suspicious Hahahaha
But I’ve only ever had one skelly crack on me. Mine was easy enough to just zip tie around the skeleton. I’m wondering if you can gel super glue the 3 way crack?

Also, do you have any deficiencies in your calcium? I’m wondering if your dude was so intent on growing somehow it managed to grow weird because of lack of available calcium? Did you drop something on it?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your drawing looks suspicious Hahahaha
But I’ve only ever had one skelly crack on me. Mine was easy enough to just zip tie around the skeleton. I’m wondering if you can gel super glue the 3 way crack?

Also, do you have any deficiencies in your calcium? I’m wondering if your dude was so intent on growing somehow it managed to grow weird because of lack of available calcium? Did you drop something on it?
Honestly i dont test calcium. Im using Fritz salt. I didnt drop anything on the hammer before but 2 ish months ago while doing a water change i did hit the hammer and it fell onto the sandbed and i had to re glue it back on the rock. Its a 2 inch drop. I doubt that would have cracked it. I read somehwere that superglue on the crack will help but since im still basically locked down, i haven’t bought some glue. I’ll get the glue asap and glue the crack shut to see if it helps. Thanks

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i dont test calcium. Im using Fritz salt. I didnt drop anything on the hammer before but 2 ish months ago while doing a water change i did hit the hammer and it fell onto the sandbed and i had to re glue it back on the rock. Its a 2 inch drop. I doubt that would have cracked it. I read somehwere that superglue on the crack will help but since im still basically locked down, i haven’t bought some glue. I’ll get the glue asap and glue the crack shut to see if it helps. Thanks
Amazon ;) lol I do almost all shopping on amazon now

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon ;) lol I do almost all shopping on amazon now
Im in malaysia. I only order things on amazon if i cant find it here cause the shipping is killer. 150 bucks for a small parcel LOL. I normally get my glue from ace hardware. But havent been in a while. Hopefully tomorrow i can get some since i cant actually find superglue gel on local online stores. I may just go to my lfs to get some. It costs more there but i guess i dont really have a choice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back