Help cycling

MonsterReef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2016
Messages
590
Reaction score
235
Location
Columbia Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys and gals I've been cycling a new-build for seahorses for two and a half weeks my ammonia will rise and then disappear with no sign of nitrates what is going on and what should I do I've been feeding the tank just like I would feed It with Fish to raise the ammonia
 
Likely confounds you are experiencing which are fully covered:

API test kits

Only ammonia matters, tested by non API kit. Specifically, nitrate and nitrite do not matter. That should help!

You mentioned two and a half weeks so far, we need closer to the 40 day mark if you haven't added bottle bac, or a pre seeded source for bac. If you added live rock or live sand already, that speeds things up nicely.
 
Have a pice of live rock in there from my 75 and dosing seed everyday
 
Per the thread it sounds like you were already cycled nothing left to do, any uncycled items are incidental. The live sand alone will pass a digestion test, ergo so will the whole tank.

If the tank can cycle 1_or 2 ppm ammonia verified in 24 hours twice, its good to go. Waiting arbitrary time past ammonia digestion is OK too, but the specific start-able time is whenever that test is passed.

I can see the double thread started for the topic has opposite offers on what to test, welcome to web cycling it's too varied to have a consistent following.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new