Help hammers and frogspawn keep melting

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally, I lost 2 torch type corals in a week that I had for 5 years. It corresponded with dosing iron to get chaeto to grow just like you. Symptoms are the same. The iron supplement went in the trash.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally, I lost 2 torch type corals in a week that I had for 5 years. It corresponded with dosing iron to get chaeto to grow just like you. Symptoms are the same. The iron supplement went in the trash.
That is so interesting. Are you using a pax bellum for chaeto? I was using there daily additive that included iron and ever since I got that thing my torch, frogspaen and hammers keep randomly dying. I literally this week decided to try brightwell chaetogro. Currently losing a torch but he looked a little different before bailout started. I was messing with flow and may not of liked where it was directed.

I have stopped the pax bellum iron daily thing so will see. I am currently rebuilding my torches and frogspawns up. Staying away from any new hammers for a bit.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals reacted negatively to AB+.
Maybe verify your po4 test with a 2nd method

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals reacted negatively to AB+.
Maybe verify your po4 test with a 2nd method
This is also interesting as I was using ab+ and trying to target feed with it. I now just mostly target feed zoa and then let the remaining broadcast feed. We’re you target feeding?

this seems to be a real common issue when you start searching around. I even bought Cipro to attempt to see if it was the bacteria strain in my tank. After reading the very in-depth post someone added to the thread. I got intimidated going down that track though and haven’t tried.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry you lost some corals. What brand iron did you use? I think Goni's are in the same type as torch and are okay, and all my corals seem to be a little better with iron or maybe because I increased phyto dosing to daily. I stopped using it because it was removing my po4 to close to zero, but so far no coral deaths.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is also interesting as I was using ab+ and trying to target feed with it. I now just mostly target feed zoa and then let the remaining broadcast feed. We’re you target feeding?

this seems to be a real common issue when you start searching around. I even bought Cipro to attempt to see if it was the bacteria strain in my tank. After reading the very in-depth post someone added to the thread. I got intimidated going down that track though and haven’t tried.
Not target feeding, broadcast.
Tried it twice, polyps retracted,,LPS deflated each time.
Trying other stuff instead. Live phyto, Oyster eggs, marine snow etc. Different one each day, always some live phyto.
Much more positive responses

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not target feeding, broadcast.
Tried it twice, polyps retracted,,LPS deflated each time.
Trying other stuff instead. Live phyto, Oyster eggs, marine snow etc. Different one each day, always some live phyto.
Much more positive responses
Can’t say I see that with ab+ when I use it. I have just changed to broadcast feeding and I switch between an+ and reef roids. I feed about once a week. I have recently started oceanmagik daily on the other days. Can’t say I have seen any change with the coral yet..

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a post here that I read the other day. Softies were not doing well and they raised the magnesium to 1500 over the course of a week and they responded and doing better. I am currently trying this myself. Maybe it will help you, they say mag that high will not hurt. I haven't confirmed that.
I missed this post when it was made. I went and got current reading of alk and mag and both were low. Working on getting them raised.
How did your corals do after raising mag?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogspawn died on me when i changed its flow. One head dissolved into a white mess. Also my fish constantly chase each other and wack their fins hard near it. Ill stick with sps they dont mind hard flow.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a lot of threads on here that basically mirror your problem with euphyllia, i see the bacterial infection brought up a lot but the common denominator in most all of them is the OP posts a po4 level of zero. i normally keep mine in the 0.08-0.12 ballpark & i have to dose to keep it there. a few times i got busy & failed to test like i should & had multiple torch/hammers start closing up looking pretty bad i checked po4 & it's 0.01-0.02 range i dosed back up to 0.08-0.12 range & within a day or two they look like nothing ever happened. you can get food grade trisodium phosphate pretty cheap & mix it with rodi as another option. just my opinion & my experience with euphyllia & po4 levels.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this post when it was made. I went and got current reading of alk and mag and both were low. Working on getting them raised.
Seem to be improving. But I also started dosing phyto daily, so, really hard to tell but no negative reactions.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are your mag readings?

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are your mag readings?
Mag: 1260
Alk : 6.9 (which I think is the problem)

I didn't really have parameter issues when I first experience Euphillia problems. I do believe my current paramaters are an issue, like I lost a torch this week. I did however find an interesting video last night. The guy states if you keep your ALK in range and stable you will never see BJD.

Here is the video starting at BJD section.

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag: 1260
Alk : 6.9 (which I think is the problem)

This is now and a bit late from losing the majority of the Euphillia problems. I still have them, like I lost a torch this week. I did however find an interesting video last night. The guy states if you keep your ALK in range and stable you will never see BJD.

Here is the video starting at BJD section.

Alk is low, 8-9 is good. Triton ICP good range for mag is 1300-1500. I try to maintain it at 1400. Others say 1200-1300, so I don't know. I have seen good results with higher mag levels and no downsides yet.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is low, 8-9 is good. Triton ICP good range for mag is 1300-1500. I try to maintain it at 1400. Others say 1200-1300, so I don't know. I have seen good results with higher mag levels and no downsides yet.
Ya, I have ALK and Mag stuff coming to dose. Should arrive today. Noticing even some of my leathers looking a little limp. I was surprised to see both parameters so low. Just goes to show if you don't keep up on testing regularly, it will bite you in the butt. I am grateful for the recommendations, and will report back after raising back up to acceptable levels.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back