Help ID worm that appeared after dosing Metro

KylasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a metroplex, focus, kanaplex regimen to treat for an unknown parasite or infection in my clowns. They have been exhibiting behavior that would make me think flukes, however, I did several fw dips and nothing came off. Even magnified, I saw nothing.

So before nuking my invert (mainly pods) population with prazi, I wanted to give this metro tro a try first.

8 hours after the first dose (I am mixing it with freeze dried mysis, not dosing the water), this little wormy creature showed up, which my fish tried to eat, but immediately spit out. 3 of my clowns had a taste and spit it out.

So I guess it stings? Maybe? This thing was swimming freely and darting around the top of the water. It moves like a ribbon. I can't see any eyes or legs or anything at all on it. Just a white ribbon looking worm. Flatworm maybe?

A little additional info

I'm battling several species of hydroids in at least 2 or their 3 stage life cycle. I am pretty sure they are irritating my fish, as when I knock them off the glass during cleaning, my fish spaz out like something is on them.

My water prams are normal for my tank. Nothing has changed. And I am pressed for time and want this posted asap. If my water prams are of any importance to this, or if knowing my water prams will help get an id, I'll give you guys everything you need this afternoon. I hope I can post a video! Pics are no good.

I can't post the video! Ugh. Is there some way to get the short clip to someone who can help me? It's like 10 seconds of a video.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A couple still photos under white lighting will help

OP
OP
K

KylasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a feeling someone will immediately recognize it by its way of swimming. If pics are still needed though, I'll take some under whites.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a feeling someone will immediately recognize it by its way of swimming. If pics are still needed though, I'll take some under whites.
Well, I can’t tell you what it is, but I can tell you that it isn’t any of the typical fish parasites.
Jay

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for certain what kind of worm it is based on vid - but I would not put it back in tank. That ribbon like swimming pattern says flatworm. Some types release unsavory toxins to prevent being eaten - could be why your fish did not like it. Like Jay said it is not likely source of your fish problem but rather a side finding that you need to flush down toilet

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
K

KylasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for certain what kind of worm it is based on vid - but I would not put it back in tank. That ribbon like swimming pattern says flatworm. Some types release unsavory toxins to prevent being eaten - could be why your fish did not like it. Like Jay said it is not likely source of your fish problem but rather a side finding that you need to flush down toilet
I was thinking flatworm also, because of the ribbon swimming....but I haven't ever seen a flatworm dart the way this worm does. I have only observed flatworms to swim pretty slowly. I never intended on it going back into my tank. But it's been a while since I've added anything new, and I'm just trying to ID this guy incase there are more yet to be seen. Something had this one out of its hiding spot and in the main water column. Do you think the metro effected it? I didn't dose the water but some undoubtedly got in the water when i fed the tank. But the tank is 120 gallons, its hard to imagine a tiny bit of metro in a 120 having any effect at all.

I am constantly looking in my tank and haven't ever seen anything like this before.

OP
OP
K

KylasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably just a free living flatworm.
Could you see eyespots at one end?
jay
No u can't see any identifiable parts at all. And I have 20/15 vision
And it was being still inside of a dark colored bowl...
I tried to find something to help me id it but I literally see nothing except the white body. It does look more pointed at one end.

OP
OP
K

KylasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'll look into that now!
Yup. Absolutely 100% this is what it is. Thank you so much!

Bristle worm you think? Apparently many worms have this stage. I was unaware. I've known parasites to have this kind of an almost cocoon like stage where the cocoons can move to a desirable host. The cocoons holding the eggs if course.

Never seen this though. It's like a little rocketship for transporting worm babies. I guess to keep the adult worms from having to expose themselves in order to breed? They would get eaten if they came out into the water often. So nature came up with rocketships. This is so cool! Im always learning new things. Love this hobby!

Thenks again!

OP
OP
K

KylasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Absolutely 100% this is what it is. Thank you so much!

Bristle worm you think? Apparently many worms have this stage. I was unaware. I've known parasites to have this kind of an almost cocoon like stage where the cocoons can move to a desirable host. The cocoons holding the eggs if course.

Never seen this though. It's like a little rocketship for transporting worm babies. I guess to keep the adult worms from having to expose themselves in order to breed? They would get eaten if they came out into the water often. So nature came up with rocketships. This is so cool! Im always learning new things. Love this hobby!

Thenks again!
That explains which I'm unable to see any identifiable parts. And also explains why it was running into the aquarium glass like it was blind. I figured it was stunned from being spit out by the fish.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back