Help Identifying New Fish

MB279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: help me ID this fish I bought, I think it was mislabeled/represented and I’m new to this

Hi all, new to the saltwater aquarium world. I used this forum to get me started and would like to say thanks for all the help and info I’ve received so far just by reading though previous threads. With that said I went today to my LFS to get some food and ended up buying what was advertised as a Stellatus puffer. Now we had been looking into puffers and were going to add a blue spotted puffer but this little guy was adorable and closer in size to our clowns so we asked if it would be compatible with our set up and we’re told yes no problem. However, this fish doesn’t look like a starry puffer which is what comes up when we type in Stellatus Puffer. Body is black spots are yellow/gold on our fish and the belly doesn’t seem striped. Not sure if it’s actually a spotted boxfish? It’s also apparently going to be much bigger than we intended if it is a starry puffer. Hindsight is 20/20, probably should have googled it prior to buying it but we felt the guy knew what he was talking about and trusted him but now I’m not so sure? Let me know your thoughts, really want to make sure we have what we were told mainly because I need to make sure our set up is okay for it. Thanks!!

7D5FC3BE-779C-4F09-85A9-904E4802CD90.jpeg 99BF5A79-DF43-4693-93EB-D3FEDE99731D.jpeg 2F3F60F0-B4D8-4D8B-B76E-FC2B5C511A43.jpeg

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: help me ID this fish I bought, I think it was mislabeled/represented and I’m new to this

Hi all, new to the saltwater aquarium world. I used this forum to get me started and would like to say thanks for all the help and info I’ve received so far just by reading though previous threads. With that said I went today to my LFS to get some food and ended up buying what was advertised as a Stellatus puffer. Now we had been looking into puffers and were going to add a blue spotted puffer but this little guy was adorable and closer in size to our clowns so we asked if it would be compatible with our set up and we’re told yes no problem. However, this fish doesn’t look like a starry puffer which is what comes up when we type in Stellatus Puffer. Body is black spots are yellow/gold on our fish and the belly doesn’t seem striped. Not sure if it’s actually a spotted boxfish? It’s also apparently going to be much bigger than we intended if it is a starry puffer. Hindsight is 20/20, probably should have googled it prior to buying it but we felt the guy knew what he was talking about and trusted him but now I’m not so sure? Let me know your thoughts, really want to make sure we have what we were told mainly because I need to make sure our set up is okay for it. Thanks!!

7D5FC3BE-779C-4F09-85A9-904E4802CD90.jpeg 99BF5A79-DF43-4693-93EB-D3FEDE99731D.jpeg 2F3F60F0-B4D8-4D8B-B76E-FC2B5C511A43.jpeg
Definitely a puffer. Not a box fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My thoughts too on young guinea fowl

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big do they get max size would love a dwarf puffer any of these exist?

OP
OP
MB279

MB279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely seems like it could match a juvenile Guinea fowl puffer his spots do like lighter but the photos look identical otherwise. Thanks everyone for your help!! I was concerned it might be a white spotted box as the spots are lighter but they wouldn’t have the teeth like that right?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely seems like it could match a juvenile Guinea fowl puffer his spots do like lighter but the photos look identical otherwise. Thanks everyone for your help!! I was concerned it might be a white spotted box as the spots are lighter but they wouldn’t have the teeth like that right?
They do look very close. The boxfish seems to have spots that carry into the tail further than yours. I think it’s still a Guineafowl. They get pretty big I think.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you definitely lucked out, this puffer is supposed to stay smaller than stellatus and costs a lot more

OP
OP
MB279

MB279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look very close. The boxfish seems to have spots that carry into the tail further than yours. I think it’s still a Guineafowl. They get pretty big I think.
Yea I see that I’m currently getting ready to upgrade to a 75G (need to set up and cycle) but I don’t know think that will cut it for him which sucks not sure how to proceed but he is adorable and they Guinea fowls look beautiful grown thank you again everyone for your help

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely dont go stellatus then, they get 2 feet+ in length. Either way im assuming this is a fowlr and 75 gallons is definitely fine for either juvenile

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back