Help identifying tang

ElectricLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

we recently did a deal where we bought all of the residents of a tank which was being broken down for sale. Mostly coral but a few fish as well.

1 Green Mandarin Goby
2 clowns
1 “dwarf” tang

I don’t think something called a dwarf tang really exists and am confident they didn’t know what they were talking about. He is small tho, he came out of a 50g tank. He is presently in a smaller tank at our house until his permanent mansion is done which is a 150g tank he can swim in.

I am just hoping someone can help me identify him via photos because I’ve had no luck in my books and online research finding one that looks exactly like him...

image.jpg

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a dwarf tang there is no such thing. That is a Desjardins sailfin tang. What size tank do you have? They require at least a 180 gallon tank
@ElectricLove, anything you say may be used as evidence against you in a Tang court of law.

You have the right to remain silent.

OP
OP
E

ElectricLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I figured (no dwarf tang), the people I got it from said it was and that he won’t grow anymore from where he is now.

He is temporarily in a 25g cube which seems to suit him fine while he is as small as he is now but he absolutely won’t be staying there for more than a week or two. He will move to our semi-circular 150g tank which is quite tall and provides some really nice swimming space.

If (when) he is outgrown of that tank we will find him a new home, we don’t want him to be unhappy or not have enough space to live his #bestlife

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 on desjardini

OP
OP
E

ElectricLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this site sells them and says “50g min”; what’s the deal with that?

OP
OP
E

ElectricLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cause they don't have correct information. I have one and there is no way that a 50g will work. They get quite large

Ok, I guess I should not trust the websites that sell fish in general? Do you recommend one that is accurate?

do you think he will be able to live his #bestlife in our semi-circular 150g tank or eventually will need even bigger?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this site sells them and says “50g min”; what’s the deal with that?

50 gallon custom long maybe. I go with the 4feet rule. Tangs need room to burst, duck,dip,dive and dodge!

OP
OP
E

ElectricLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The front glass, because it is semi-circle is actually over 7’ long. The back glass, however, is 5’ long.

Assuming they are content swimming at a slight angle across the front bow, he will have a full‘ of distance before he would have to turn around...

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The front glass, because it is semi-circle is actually over 7’ long. The back glass, however, is 5’ long.

Assuming they are content swimming at a slight angle across the front bow, he will have a full‘ of distance before he would have to turn around...
That’s good. It’s not always about the amount of gallons but the amount of open space and hiding space. Sounds to me like You got this!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dini for sure, love to see pics of the semi circle tank

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it will take 5 6 years but that tang can grow 12" like a dinner plate love em ,they have a great personality,nice tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back