HELP! IM 25 Lagoon EQUIPMENT RECOMMENDATIONS

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Recently came up on a great deal for a IM 25g Lagoon and would like some help regarding equipment. Very noobish when it comes to equipment so please advise.

MP 10 w/ mobius $200 (Almost brand New) or Find a deal on Nero 5

What skimmer would you recommend? Might be able to swing a deal on a IM Ghost skimmer asking $75 (Almost brand New)

Please share experiences with the pump and skimmer please!

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of IM AIO’s- including yours. Well…not literally yours. IM: 120g, 20g, 10g, and 40g…and the Biocube 29g.

My advice:

AIO’s are best when things are simple. Chemipure, filter socks. Water changes. Maybe add a Wi-Fi dosing pump after a year with some all-in-one. The end.

I’ve tried lots of combinations and spent lots of money and have come to the conclusion that skimmers do nothing on smaller tanks but create headaches, extra stuff to clean, and maintenance every 3-5 days. Nothing like reaching in the back to pull out a little blue rubber grommet that slipped off the magnet of the skimmer when you went to replace the skimmer cup. What’s back there? Eunice worm? Fire worm? Some other horrible evil that lurks in darkness? Yes it will pull out gunk if you get it dialed in. No it won’t really have any meaningful effect. There just isn’t enough room to impact water quality on anything less than a 60g (or so) and then it becomes useless again because the compartments stay the same depth as you go past 50-60g. I’m sure people will “swear” by skimmers on small tanks but the reality is that if they pulled it, they’d have a little more glass to clean for a month or two and then it would be fine.

You’d be better off turning a compartment into a refugium with a magnet light on the back. Which I have done several times. Which has worked brilliantly.

Under stock. A pair of clown and a pistol shrimp/ goby or whatever. This is not a fun place to chase nutrients.

AWC if you have the room. 3, 5 gallon ATO containers on my 40g and an autoaqua AWC was fantastic. Changed a gallon a week and water changes meant once a month or so dumping a container, refilling a container, and away I went.

Flow? Honestly, I would see if I could fit two IM mightyjet 530’s back there and use each return line separately. I’m too lazy to go check if it would work. In my head w/o the strainer it should. Super clean and plenty of flow with spin nozzles or aductors (or whatever they’re called). As I sit here and look at the 20g, an MP10 would be too big in my mind. I used one on my Biocube and an MP40 on my 40g and I recall feeling like the MP10 was bulky in the 29g. I’d go with a small gyre right in the middle on the back wall if it were me. I don’t care for them but space is king in that tank and it’s so small a clean look is important. I can’t recall but I don’t think it fits on the end of the tank.

Flow comes down to what you want to keep so that’s a personal decision. As someone who has fallen down the “I’m going to have a nano-SPS tank! hole, I’m much happier leaving that in my big tank and enjoying the smaller tanks with anemones or zoas and toadstools.

My 20g is currently a FW planted tank. I’m using a Radion XR15 freshwater to light it and it shades on the sides a bit. If I was growing coral, I’d have an XR30 no matter what I was keeping in there.

I am convinced no light in this hobby was designed to run at 90-100% so I always look for the PAR I want at 60-70%. That’s just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 64

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of IM AIO’s- including yours. Well…not literally yours. IM: 120g, 20g, 10g, and 40g…and the Biocube 29g.

My advice:

AIO’s are best when things are simple. Chemipure, filter socks. Water changes. Maybe add a Wi-Fi dosing pump after a year with some all-in-one. The end.

I’ve tried lots of combinations and spent lots of money and have come to the conclusion that skimmers do nothing on smaller tanks but create headaches, extra stuff to clean, and maintenance every 3-5 days. Nothing like reaching in the back to pull out a little blue rubber grommet that slipped off the magnet of the skimmer when you went to replace the skimmer cup. What’s back there? Eunice worm? Fire worm? Some other horrible evil that lurks in darkness? Yes it will pull out gunk if you get it dialed in. No it won’t really have any meaningful effect. There just isn’t enough room to impact water quality on anything less than a 60g (or so) and then it becomes useless again because the compartments stay the same depth as you go past 50-60g. I’m sure people will “swear” by skimmers on small tanks but the reality is that if they pulled it, they’d have a little more glass to clean for a month or two and then it would be fine.

You’d be better off turning a compartment into a refugium with a magnet light on the back. Which I have done several times. Which has worked brilliantly.

Under stock. A pair of clown and a pistol shrimp/ goby or whatever. This is not a fun place to chase nutrients.

AWC if you have the room. 3, 5 gallon ATO containers on my 40g and an autoaqua AWC was fantastic. Changed a gallon a week and water changes meant once a month or so dumping a container, refilling a container, and away I went.

Flow? Honestly, I would see if I could fit two IM mightyjet 530’s back there and use each return line separately. I’m too lazy to go check if it would work. In my head w/o the strainer it should. Super clean and plenty of flow with spin nozzles or aductors (or whatever they’re called). As I sit here and look at the 20g, an MP10 would be too big in my mind. I used one on my Biocube and an MP40 on my 40g and I recall feeling like the MP10 was bulky in the 29g. I’d go with a small gyre right in the middle on the back wall if it were me. I don’t care for them but space is king in that tank and it’s so small a clean look is important. I can’t recall but I don’t think it fits on the end of the tank.

Flow comes down to what you want to keep so that’s a personal decision. As someone who has fallen down the “I’m going to have a nano-SPS tank! hole, I’m much happier leaving that in my big tank and enjoying the smaller tanks with anemones or zoas and toadstools.

My 20g is currently a FW planted tank. I’m using a Radion XR15 freshwater to light it and it shades on the sides a bit. If I was growing coral, I’d have an XR30 no matter what I was keeping in there.

I am convinced no light in this hobby was designed to run at 90-100% so I always look for the PAR I want at 60-70%. That’s just my 2 cents.
Wow, you got the 120 aio? What do you think of it?

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
I don’t run a skimmer on mine.
Sounds good, I also plan to run no skimmer.

My advice:

Wow! Thanks for the in depth review and your experience. It is very much appreciated. I thought since I would be upgrading tanks that it might be time to invest in some equipment but after a little more research, you have convinced me that simple is still the best method until I really shoot for a larger tank. As of now, will be simply running just heater, filter floss, carbon, and return pump. Planning to cycle it for a few months so no rush.

The light and pump can wait as I will do more research to see what best fits my build. Will be a high end softy / LPS tank.

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
OOH ANOTHER QUESTION!

Anyone have recommendations for a stand? I saw someone use a IKEA SEKTION or DIY stand. Please advise!

Not looking to get the standard IM stand.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are getting an AIO tank, I would go to a furniture store and in the Scratch and Dent section, bring a cardboard cut out for the base of the tank, now you know if it will fit, back sure it is strong and steady.
I have the IM Lagoon non rear chamber, take srobertb advice.

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda disagree with others lol but I only know my own experience.

mp10 is a must (to me) because it’s the only powerhead that doesn’t have a cord in the tank.
Good ATO is essential.

I would recommend a dosing pump asap, I personally dose all for reef.

I do have a skimmer and I actually find it to be quite effective, but not necessary. It is and aquamaxx NF1

I got my stand off Facebook marketplace by searching for furniture. It matches our decor, has a nice marble top and was only $70

I would be careful with products like chemipure elite. It lowered my phos too quickly when I would change it and some corals suffered.

Brian Berry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My advice:

I have a 26 peninsula and I run a Nero 3 just below 50%.
Recently came up on a great deal for a IM 25g Lagoon and would like some help regarding equipment. Very noobish when it comes to equipment so please advise.

What skimmer would you recommend? Might be able to swing a deal on a IM Ghost skimmer asking $75 (Almost brand New)

I run a Nero 3 just under 50% on a 26gal. peninsula. Very small footprint and works very well.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I just set up a Nuvo20 and this will be my maybe 4th or 5th go at a nano tank. Currently running off one mighty jet return pump and I gotta say, this controllable dc pump is amazing and works great! Don’t know why I never tried one before, 2 options for pulse and stream and a nice one touch feed mode

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
I kinda disagree with others lol but I only know my own experience.

mp10 is a must (to me) because it’s the only powerhead that doesn’t have a cord in the tank.
Good ATO is essential.

I would recommend a dosing pump asap, I personally dose all for reef.

I do have a skimmer and I actually find it to be quite effective, but not necessary. It is and aquamaxx NF1

I got my stand off Facebook marketplace by searching for furniture. It matches our decor, has a nice marble top and was only $70

I would be careful with products like chemipure elite. It lowered my phos too quickly when I would change it and some corals suffered.
Dang.. I do want that mp10 but I’m being cheap right now haha.

Thanks for the heads up about the stand! On the lookout. My current ato I’m running is a tunze 5017 so we should be good to go

Geikster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMO skip the Nero 5. I've had nothing but issues with my Nero 3. Replaced under warranty once and while replacement is slightly better I need to take it apart, clean it, and factory reset it nearly every time I shut it off (water changes, tank maintenance, etc.) as it won't start back up. I get the "red blinky light of death".

Brian Berry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO skip the Nero 5. I've had nothing but issues with my Nero 3. Replaced under warranty once and while replacement is slightly better I need to take it apart, clean it, and factory reset it nearly every time I shut it off (water changes, tank maintenance, etc.) as it won't start back up. I get the "red blinky light of death".
I have read that a few times with the Nero 3. I am thankful with no issues. That’s a bummer when stuff like that happens though.

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
From what I’ve see .. unfortunately Nero 3 is a hit and miss in terms of issues. Nero 5 had way better reviews hence the reason I said that instead. But hopefully your faulty one gets resolved because that’s the absolute worse when equipment malfunction and not user error..

Geikster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what I’ve see .. unfortunately Nero 3 is a hit and miss in terms of issues. Nero 5 had way better reviews hence the reason I said that instead. But hopefully your faulty one gets resolved because that’s the absolute worse when equipment malfunction and not user error..
Fair point. My experience is only limited to the Nero 3. Aside from the issues I am having, it's a great form factor and a cool design. I can say I'm a fan of the Ecotechs as I have 2 MP40's on a larger tank and they have been rock solid so far. Whichever route you choose I wish you much success!

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Fair point. My experience is only limited to the Nero 3. Aside from the issues I am having, it's a great form factor and a cool design. I can say I'm a fan of the Ecotechs as I have 2 MP40's on a larger tank and they have been rock solid so far. Whichever route you choose I wish you much success!
Thank you for the kind words! I wish you much success as well! If you ever have some time, check me out on instagram or my build thread :) I’m pretty sure it won’t disappoint.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang.. I do want that mp10 but I’m being cheap right now haha.

Thanks for the heads up about the stand! On the lookout. My current ato I’m running is a tunze 5017 so we should be good to go
Theres a lot to be said for just getting good gear up front that can grow with you. Buy once, cry once. Hell, i bought my rodi before i even had a tank.

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Theres a lot to be said for just getting good gear up front that can grow with you. Buy once, cry once. Hell, i bought my rodi before i even had a tank.
True! I'm definitely getting good gear but just gotta space it out so the bank account doesn't take too much of a hit!
lol yeah or “the cheap man buys twice”.
Usually true !!
gosh... Now that is an awful feeling.

Reminds me of some of the fish that I regret picking up in the past because they were a better deal and ended up passing away... Lessons learned.

OP
OP
Salty_Taste

Salty_Taste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Welp, the person I was planning to pick up the tank from ended up flaking out of our set deal and switching up on me trying to raise the price.

Shoutout my uncle for giving me a free lowboy 20gal tank. I plan to use this as my next build!
24 x 24 x 8

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back