HELP! Is something wrong with my frogspawn?

OP
OP
Braunreffer

Braunreffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are good parameters. Have you made any changes to your tank recently? How are you maintaining alk/calc and nitrates
Well i had a high salinity 3 weeks ago due a defective calibration solution, but is fixed now, i dose alk and nitrates with xenia and chaeto.

I make water changes if 10% every 2 weeks.

And feed reefroids 2 times a week and try to ever feed my tank, but nitrates wont go up

Last edited:

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i had a high salinity 3 weeks ago due a defective calibration solution, but is fized now, i dose alk and nitrates with xenia and chaeto
How high and how did you fix it? Whats your No3 at? You don't dose calcium?

OP
OP
Braunreffer

Braunreffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high and how did you fix it? Whats your No3 at? You don't dose calcium?
It was 1.028 and downed it with 3 weeks water changes of 10%

I guess mi water comes with calcium or aquaforest salt gives me just the right ammount for my tank. Tested with redsea and hanna.

Nitrites and nitrates are at 0, nitrates is an api test so i figure it might be 0 - 5ish.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 1.028 and downed it with 3 weeks water changes of 10%

I guess mi water comes with calcium or aquaforest salt gives me just the right ammount for my tank. Tested with redsea and hanna.

Nitrites and nitrates are at 0, nitrates is an api test so i figure it might be 0 - 5ish.
That all sounds fine, how much does your Ca dip over the course of a week though? I don't like the low No3. I would shoot for 10 or so. But you're dosing No3 and also growing chaeto?

Maibe it was by a torch like 2 months ago
Hmm, I would expect a sting from a torch to hit the big fleshy tentacles not the base. I could see aptasia or something causing this, a sting from a torch I would expect to see the whole polyp upset.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, today when my frogspawn started to shrink to sleep i noticed some of its skeleton is visible, i dont know if its normal as the frogspawn is acting normal...

Can tou help me?

20200328_233703.jpg
I wonder what are those black specs and the round circles are spirorbid worms right?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months ago is plenty of time for the coral to get over that sting but I worry your stability may be upsetting the frogspawn. Low calcium consumption could be a sign of imbalance or false test results. Calcium and alk should move together

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what are those black specs and the round circles are spirorbid worms right?
The round circles look like heads wanting to burst out and grow. I could be wrong about that but I am very curious about those black specs too.

OP
OP
Braunreffer

Braunreffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all sounds fine, how much does your Ca dip over the course of a week though? I don't like the low No3. I would shoot for 10 or so. But you're dosing No3 and also growing chaeto?

Hmm, I would expect a sting from a torch to hit the big fleshy tentacles not the base. I could see aptasia or something causing this, a sting from a torch I would expect to see the whole polyp upset.
Maybe it gets -10 ca per week las tiime i checked it to measure consumption

OP
OP
Braunreffer

Braunreffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months ago is plenty of time for the coral to get over that sting but I worry your stability may be upsetting the frogspawn. Low calcium consumption could be a sign of imbalance or false test results. Calcium and alk should move together
Yes i lose close to .6 alk per week but i dose alk 3 times a week, and have beeen getting right amount of calc with water changes.

I have tested hanna and api/redsea, by me and a fellow reefer and all is good.

Is close to a powerhead but havnt seen much flow or tissue ripped by it

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much coral, i had a bacteria bloom but havnt noticed any co traction o the torch, i even thojght head might be splitting as it seems bigger, but just noticed this issues.

20200315_200709.jpg
I like how you did your aquascape, going to be a cool tank! As for your frogspawn, I would try to get your no3 up over 10 and keep a close eye on it. I'll also tag #reefsquad to see if anyone else has some ideas.

OP
OP
Braunreffer

Braunreffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how you did your aquascape, going to be a cool tank! As for your frogspawn, I would try to get your no3 up over 10 and keep a close eye on it. I'll also tag #reefsquad to see if anyone else has some ideas.
Im trying i gues i will have to dose and reduce chaeto to half

Thanks for my aquascape comments

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed your aquascape looks cool! Are there any fish or moblie inverts in this tank? If this coral start to decline rapidly you may want to give it a dip.Hopefully this issue is not related to a parasite.

OP
OP
Braunreffer

Braunreffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed your aquascape looks cool! Are there any fish or moblie inverts in this tank? If this coral start to decline rapidly you may want to give it a dip.Hopefully this issue is not related to a parasite.
Yes my livestock is:
Turbosnails
A couple hermits
Skunk shrimp
2 clown fish
Lawnmower blenny
Yellow coris
Carpenter wrasse
Watchman goby
Goby clown

Apparently is growing on the skeleton, is it because is growing? Or is repoblating a dead zone?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back