HELP mushroom coral not opening.

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my mushroom corals are not opening properly. They have been in my tank for about a month now. All water parameters are in there correct zones and salinity is at 1.026. Its in a low moderate flow zone and gets low light. In these same conditions the corals were thriving not to long ago. Any idea what's happening. Also why is the purple mushroom corals mouth open so much????
The only changes I made to the tank was adding a new wave maker and increasing the light power. I have decreased the power about a week ago as the light was to strong when I tested par levels. The corals are still in a low flow zone.
Any help is welcome.

IMG20230614141204.jpg IMG20230614141200.jpg

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Please share alk, calc, mag, phosphate, nitrate, temp, age of tank. You said you increased light intensity and flow with another wave maker. Mushrooms like low to moderate light and low flow, so this change could be why.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share alk, calc, mag, phosphate, nitrate, temp, age of tank. You said you increased light intensity and flow with another wave maker. Mushrooms like low light and low flow, so this could why.
My phosphates are pretty high at 0.5 but I have added GFO and it's slowly coming down. It was around 1 a couple of weeks ago. Temp is at 25 degrees. The tank is about 2 months old. Nitrates are around 5-7 ppm. I have not checked alk, calc or magnesium but If it's important I will get some test kits for them this week. The light could have been the reason as I was getting about 100par at the sandbed which is were they are.
Maybe light shock?

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. When I put my shrooms in the tank they sulked for weeks. I think my lights are brighter than the lfs. Now they open up nicely, but it took them a few weeks to acclimate to the new conditions.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My phosphates are pretty high at 0.5 but I have added GFO and it's slowly coming down. It was around 1 a couple of weeks ago. Temp is at 25 degrees. The tank is about 2 months old. Nitrates are around 5-7 ppm. I have not checked alk, calc or magnesium but If it's important I will get some test kits for them this week. The light could have been the reason as I was getting about 100par at the sandbed which is were they are.
Maybe light shock?
Your tank is brand new, so it’ll take time to attain the stability corals need. Mushrooms are good beginner corals, as they are pretty resilient. I’d recommend getting test kits and monitoring your water parameters regularly, especially if you plan on getting more corals in the future. It’s most important to get stable water parameters before any corals will thrive. It’s good you’re using Gfo to lower your phosphates, as they are pretty high. Just make sure to monitor closely that you don’t drop phosphate too low, as corals need some phosphates. Could be light shock. Could be unstable water parameters. You’ll get it with time.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.5 phosphate, I bet you are using API? You will need a better tester than API

Are you using rodi water?

As mentioned above, 2 months old tank is extremely new, and very challenging for corals to thrive. I would suggest to get more and better test kits, start becoming a master of your tank and water. Not knowing the parameters make it difficult for anyone to help.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back