HELP MY ZOAS ARE DYING EMERGENCY

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular brand you’d recommend
I use the red sea reef colors system. I have to admit, I find the seachem iodide iodine test to be such a pain that I hardly ever bother to test. I am always zeroed out anyway. I just add a squirt once a week or so (~1ml per 15 g tank size)

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried moving some of the sick frags to the reef to see if they improve?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2 clowns
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 sand sifting goby
1 purple fire fish
1orchid dotty back
Couple nassarius, trochus, turbo snails
3 blue leg hermits
2radion xr 15 running the lps/softie presetting
fun stocking. nice aquaspin. do you find it accurate?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add that I have some of my zoas in multiple locations in my tank. The purple monsters at the bottom are like a centimeter in diameter, deep purple, and have a green skirt. The ones up top are 0.3 cm in diameter, lilac, and have a lilac skirt. They both grow like weeds. Same water. Different place different light different flow.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use neophos and neo nitro to raise nitrate and phosphate. I try to run .10 phos and 10-25 nitrate

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides nutrients, pest, bacterial infection, flow and light could be fish or snails. I have a flame hawkfish that tends to rest on them so they close up. Like I said I had a plug covered with 3 different zoas. It opened when I first put it in tank. Then closed up, had dinos, zero nitrate .03 phosphate. Added some brightwell neo nitro to bring nitrate up to 3. Dinos dissappear almost overnight but then nitrates were 40 and phosphates were 3.0. Been doing water changes to bring it down. Now at 20 for nitrates and .2 for phosphates. No algae so not worried about levels and zoas have been doing well, took 3+ months, half covered plug is now twice the size of plug. Working to get nitrates under 10 and phosphates under .1.

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Zoas spitting their guts out isnt a nutrient or light issue. Happens to every zoa collector i know and it happens over night usually. I had a few do it last week on zoas I've had for over a year and nothing has changed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back