help on lps!

marybell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been dealing with low alk these past weeks...i have lost a few acans and chalices...
now i have my parameters in the right track but still my CHALICES KEEPS RECEDING...it doesnt have slime or any...they seem to be healthy and extends out tentacles but the flesh on the rims are peeling off very slowly...everyday i can see more skeleton showing....everything is receding very slowly....
the acans seem to stop receding,they have a white slime lining on the edges and i keep blowing them off every now and then before but now it seems to stop...

please guys i need advice and help on what is going on....if u ever encounter this problem please let me know what u did to solve it....i have grown my chalices from a frag and i have lost a prized one...

thanks in advance i am very clueless...it just affects my lps...all other corals are fine(soft and sps)

thanks

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've paid the price for this same issue as well and there was really nothing I could do to stop the damage myself. Hopefully someone has a suggestion, but dips didn't help me at all for the ones showing damage. Wish I had better news for you :(

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from Alk, check your Magnesium. I've found Magnesium to play a large role, in flesh growth, with most encrusting LPS corals, such as Echinophyllia, Acans, etc.

If your LPS don't stop receding, you may need to frag them, taking a small amount of healthy flesh, with the bad. This may help to save the coral!

OP
OP
M

marybell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks now i feel better i thought im the only one having this issues,i thought theres something wrong with me...what i dont understand is the chalices puffs and eats...color is there,no bleaching but the problem is flesh is very very slowly peeling of the rims....one of my watermelons half of it has the green rim and half has the expose skeleton...i havent done any dips as i am thinking it might cause more stress though if u look at them they look fine...i know overtime if this doesnt stop the flesh will just keeps peeling of till theres no more as thats what happens to my other ones....right now i am trying to feed it more often thinking this might help them fight whats going on.....

i hope someone out there experienced this and were able to solve this problem....also what makes me clueless is,i have couple chalices that are not affected...no skeleton showing anywhere...so im really point blank...

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It maybe that with your alk swings before, they just have not recovered fully from those yet. hopefully it will get better. I think you will just have to wait and see. Keep your params spot on and in time they should be fine.

OP
OP
M

marybell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks thats what i am trying to do....i thought everything is already fine but this morning i notice one of my nice chalice exposed more skeleton...which makes me worrying right now...:(

Tyrrell109

Wet Behind The Ears
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you havent already put them in a low flow zone. I was advised this when mine started to lose its flesh right off the skelly.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I scared you too much ... I had a couple alk swings and I also think a new variety of salt I had been using for 7 months may have contributed to my LPS issue. Hope you can stop the recession on your corals!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back