Help!!! Please damaged tank

Steward92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

OK, so, I kinda rushed into buying a 450 red sea reefer as it was alot bigger than mine and was close to home. The family I got it off seemed really genuine and felt right when I brought it. Once I got it home and had more chance to inspect it further I notice a couple of issues one which iis really worrying me.

There has been a leak previously in the bottom left corner and a kind of circular crack which is visable inside of the glass. The old owner has clearly patched this up with silicone but I'm worried about it leaking, blowing out and flooding my house or worse killing someone.

I feel stupid for rushing into this purchase if this is aa major problem but the need for a bigger and better tank won in this case.

Any advise would be great.

IMG_20210926_101617.jpg IMG_20210926_191303.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the images, but that looks like a substantial impact. I’m not sure if you could fix it or if you did how long it would hold. A company that specializes in glass repairs might be able to tell you. I wouldn’t necessarily trust the silicone repair, either (it wasn’t professionally done). For all we know the tank was damaged and patched up when empty.

If this wasn’t disclosed by the seller, it’s a really dick move. Have you contacted him? I’d be asking for a refund.

OP
OP
S

Steward92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. The damage in the glass seems to be between the back of the front glass and the base sheet of glass. Looks more like its where the seal has burst maybe and created a passage for water?

seller didn't disclose it had previously leaked but some would say I should have noticed before I brought it I suppose but I'm no expert in these things. Either way this is looking like a bum deal.

I purchased off Facebook so I doubt I have much chance of contesting the sale but I sure will try.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

OK, so, I kinda rushed into buying a 450 red sea reefer as it was alot bigger than mine and was close to home. The family I got it off seemed really genuine and felt right when I brought it. Once I got it home and had more chance to inspect it further I notice a couple of issues one which iis really worrying me.

There has been a leak previously in the bottom left corner and a kind of circular crack which is visable inside of the glass. The old owner has clearly patched this up with silicone but I'm worried about it leaking, blowing out and flooding my house or worse killing someone.

I feel stupid for rushing into this purchase if this is aa major problem but the need for a bigger and better tank won in this case.

Any advise would be great.

IMG_20210926_101617.jpg IMG_20210926_191303.jpg
Thats quick a crack. That doesn't look natural. Did the previous owners have anger issues with the tank?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back