Help please, dying child here.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually almost beat the Dino’s. About a month ago it was completely covering my tank. Got UV, cheato reactor, and not letting my parameters bottom out. Not worried about it...
If you are not paying attention to everyone’s advice that the issue with your clam is most likely caused by your Dino’s, what exactly do you want to hear?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not paying attention to everyone’s advice that the issue with your clam is most likely caused by your Dino’s, what exactly do you want to hear?
I never had huge Dino problem, however, Dino does not seem to bother my clams. In my tank, Dino only SPS by cover them.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had huge Dino problem, however, Dino does not seem to bother my clams. In my tank, Dino only SPS by cover them.
Mine was definitely irritated and did not fully open. Maybe it is dependent on the species of Dino. Or like you say, the amount of Dino. I had quite a bit. Once Dino’s were gone, clam and corals were fully open.

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was definitely irritated and did not fully open. Maybe it is dependent on the species of Dino. Or like you say, the amount of Dino. I had quite a bit. Once Dino’s were gone, clam and corals were fully open.
I'm personally not too convinced that it was the dinos in my tank that caused receding. I have read that not all dinos release toxins, there is also a variance in the toxins. I have a squamosa that has been through multiple dino outbreaks including the one I just had. I know it is a hardier species but still... It's not affected at all. Not only that, literally all of my corals have been fine the entire time. I feel that it isn't fair to pin it on something that doesn't affect anything else in my tank.

I'm sorry if you feel that I have a confirmation bias. I just don't want to have a conversation about it. I even moved it into my frag biocube setup that is ran with same alk and cal. Also is dino free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many places will let you put something on hold, especially if you’re a regular and if you come in a lot. I think the best option here would’ve been to put it on hold, then come back every couple days to see if it looked better. I will not buy a clam that has any defects in the mantle, doesn’t have new growth on the shell, or reacts sluggishly to light. If any of those big three are even the tiniest bit debatable on wether it’s fine, I put it on hold and revisit in a couple days to see if the clam has improved. Not really helpful for this clam, but if you ever decide to buy another definitely follow this protocol.

is the maxima doing any better? It looked really pretty from the mantle that I could see, black and white maximas are pretty expensive in my area as well so I hope this little guy is pulling through okay

He is still sitting along ig. I go this bad boy for 50$ with some free pods (part of the reason I just grabbed him without even observing). The clam (I named him Spongebob) is doing the exact same as it was a week ago. I did FW dip for 10 mins... for no good reason other than my hypochondriac tendencies. Gave it a little more flow in its new tank. As in my first pic it was just in a dead spot with all the dirty detritus dino suspool. I still feed it phyto in a little bucket every other day. I'm honestly losing hope cuz no matter what I do it just is the exact same. Feel like one day I'm gonna wake up to an empty shell. Really confused tbh... Appreciate the follow-up.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back