Help selecting Tang(s) for 120G

FrozenBat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

New to the forum and reefing, I’ve seen lots of threads similar to this but thought I’d put it out there to get tang takes.

I have a new 120G tank (4x2x2) with sump, currently fully cycled and up and running with 2 orange clowns.

Trying to finalize my stock list and trying to decide on tangs, I’d like to stay away from having to upgrade tank size or re-home (will do it if needed but hoping to avoid). I’m aware of the general ideas of keeping different shapes, etc. but looking for what combination people would recommend. Also open to a Rabbitfish as part of the consideration.

My current planned stock list in addition to the clowns and tangs:
  • Blenny
  • wrasse
  • Royal Grammar Basslet
  • goby and pistol shrimp
  • Cardinal fish
Thanks so much

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

New to the forum and reefing, I’ve seen lots of threads similar to this but thought I’d put it out there to get tang takes.

I have a new 120G tank (4x2x2) with sump, currently fully cycled and up and running with 2 orange clowns.

Trying to finalize my stock list and trying to decide on tangs, I’d like to stay away from having to upgrade tank size or re-home (will do it if needed but hoping to avoid). I’m aware of the general ideas of keeping different shapes, etc. but looking for what combination people would recommend. Also open to a Rabbitfish as part of the consideration.

My current planned stock list in addition to the clowns and tangs:
  • Blenny
  • wrasse
  • Royal Grammar Basslet
  • goby and pistol shrimp
  • Cardinal fish
Thanks so much
In a 4 foot tank your best bets are probably a blue eyed tang or yellow kole tang however even then you’re pushing it. Tangs are very active fish always swimming always grazing so the more real estate the better!

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini tang in my 90 gallon. Can be pretty aggressive. I'd honestly advise reconsidering a tang for a tank of that size.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 4 foot tank your best bets are probably a blue eyed tang or yellow kole tang however even then you’re pushing it. Tangs are very active fish always swimming always grazing so the more real estate the better!
Was just thinking the same - I have a 4' tank as well, and have a baby captive bred yellow tang and just got a yellow eye kole tang. I wouldn't get any more than this, and the yellow is pushing it when it becomes full size (I got it when it was about 1.5" - it has grown at least another .5 to inch in just 4 months). If you do get more than one, get them at the same time and try to get similar sized fish. I used to have a tomini who when mature was a gorgeous fish as well. I'm no tang police at all but in my experience, bristletooth are the best size- wise for a 4' tank. They're very active, and beautiful. :)

Last edited:

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a small yellow tang. However, make sure to add him last because tangs are territorial so if you add it last everyone else already has their space claimed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back