Help - STN?

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have this lovely Tort colony that is perched up a tall rock at the corner of my tank
cc1e8fcd7a591a0fff680064a8e8007d.jpg

c562be817c9f5388cf93f399f9d6372f.jpg

Two days ago i noticed this band of white tissue creeping up from the base of the coral but only on the shaded part of the colony.
It’s been slowly creeping up over the past two days as you can see from the pictures

6e7254e6d56b5443a7ff17877119a06f.jpg

eb38627b4f863c6d46d37cab059ec639.jpg

0895833abd66fbaa6e8574c7942b0e23.jpg

cac40cfa8bf993e53b51838f97eeaaca.jpg

Is this STN?
I took a big frag from the crown of the colony last night as a backup...
But what to do next? I’ve started doing daily 5% water changes in case there is some toxin in the water.
The dead tissue is right at the base of the colony... do you think that I should saw off the colony above the dead tissue to try to save it?

Also, I was looking at some frags under the scope for possible signs of pests
I saw this guy (and a few others like him) ... harmless copepod or red bug
349a94b0157aaf600d2648d4b3a796e3.jpg

Thanks for your help!

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
following, I have some spots like this on a couple of my corals.

Looks very brittle where the spots are like something was eating at it. I thought I saw some very very small bugs but couldnt tell if they were harmless copepods or not. Did you ever look in your tank at night in that white spot with a flashlight? Thats the only time I saw the grey/black looking very very small bugs (cant see them without zoom on my phone)

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post tank parameters. Also try blasting it with a turkey baster to see if any aefw come off and check along the dead tissue for eggs.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not RTN. I would start checking my parms, especially my alk. Do you know what it is? I think everyone has you on the pests, which is a good idea.
I think you have done all the right steps so far.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following, I have some spots like this on a couple of my corals.

Looks very brittle where the spots are like something was eating at it. I thought I saw some very very small bugs but couldnt tell if they were harmless copepods or not. Did you ever look in your tank at night in that white spot with a flashlight? Thats the only time I saw the grey/black looking very very small bugs (cant see them without zoom on my phone)
i tried an hour or so after lights out, but i saw nothing... but perhaps i need to camp out and check on it at 2 or 3 am.... i got a red light today, so i should be able to see better

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i tried an hour or so after lights out, but i saw nothing... but perhaps i need to camp out and check on it at 2 or 3 am.... i got a red light today, so i should be able to see better

I was just home for a quick lunch break. Checked my red planet which is showing base tissue loss, couldn’t see from how far back it was so I removed the plug. Luckily was still on a plug and I moved it to the very front so I could look at it with a maginify glass. Saw the little grey/black pods that I saw on my other piece that has the same brittle tissue loss and poor PE. I’m definitely going to be doing interceptor, nothing to lose besides maybe a couple crabs or snails if I can’t catch them all.

I would definitely look as close as possible, they’re soooo small. I could barely see them when I had the coral against the front glass with my naked eye.

Not saying you have these but if everything else has been constant. I’d definitely look for these.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post tank parameters. Also try blasting it with a turkey baster to see if any aefw come off and check along the dead tissue for eggs.
Ok... i run a high nutrient system, so no judging ;)
Alkalinity did decline this week, but slightly from 9.3 to 8.6 over a 7 day period
Calcium did decline this week, but slightly from 460 to 455 over a 7 day period
Mg steady at 1425
Salinity steady at 35 ppt
Ph fluctuates daily between 8.2 to 8.4
Temp pretty steady at 79F

Nitrates have been high but steady at 20 ppm
Phosphate have been high but steady at 0.3 ppm

Note, ntirates and phosphates have high but steady for the past 3 month; my sps has been looking great; expect for the decline in that one colony noted above; eg. see tank update from 3 weeks ago

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so consensus seems to be pests... will try to give it a look with a red light...

Any merit to cutting (yikes) this beautiful colony above the dead tissue in case its STN ?

Any other ideas ?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok... so consensus seems to be pests... will try to give it a look with a red light...

Any merit to cutting (yikes) this beautiful colony above the dead tissue in case its STN ?

Any other ideas ?

It doesnt really look like STN from the pictures but you could cut it or epoxy/glue over the dead area to try to stop it if you think it is STN

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2f39f51a977fb478110bce5574b629a5.jpg

8e3f710bb730a01cd67e3e8d6d0c6189.jpg

Horrible pictures and you can’t see the very very small pod like things I’m talking about but just wanted to show what I meant by looks like they’re chewing the tissue back.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that part of the coral will probably never come back, and it may even worsen a little. It's looks heavily shaded by the rest of the colony in that section. Lack of light is probably the cause, nbd. I would keep a real close eye on your corals though if you're worried about bugs. You can see them scurry across the corals if you look close, and usually PE & color will go downhill.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Honestly, that part of the coral will probably never come back, and it may even worsen a little. It's looks heavily shaded by the rest of the colony in that section. Lack of light is probably the cause, nbd. I would keep a real close eye on your corals though if you're worried about bugs. You can see them scurry across the corals if you look close, and usually PE & color will go downhill.

I dont think that is from lack of light, look at the right bottom side of his coral in the pictures where the DT light is off. It looks like it is starting there too where it seems there are no branches above it.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think that is from lack of light, look at the right bottom side of his coral in the pictures where the DT light is off. It looks like it is starting there too where it seems there are no branches above it.
Just my guess. A growing acropora puts all of its energy towards the branches and new growth. If the base isn't getting enough light the weakened zoox will die out, not enough light for photosynthesis there. Its really common in LED lit tanks. Best thing you can do is make an epoxy base around it so it can encrust on a flat surface.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my guess. A growing acropora puts all of its energy towards the branches and new growth. If the base isn't getting enough light the weakened zoox will die out, not enough light for photosynthesis there. Its really common in LED lit tanks. Best thing you can do is make an epoxy base around it so it can encrust on a flat surface.
will give it a try

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look similar, but mine appear less yellow and rounded, but it could just be the angle / scope

Your photo is from the top of the pod, theirs is from the side. Color could just be difference of lighting and camera settings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back