Help to understand and improve my situation

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I will give some background and hope you can guide me for a best path. Please do not criticize me for my novice errors. I'm aware of my errors and I want to improve.

I started a 20g AIO mix reef tank in Jan 2021. Got dead rock online and I just rinsed it for few days in tap water before put it in the tank (First error). Tank was started with biomicrolflora from ocean instant and 1 inch of salt. No lights not livestock. After a week with parameters in good range, I went ahead and added one mushroom and one domino damsel, added a random led light. During the first weeks, I started to notice debrief from the rocks, after more weeks, the water became green and stinky, I was not sure if it was due to the rocks or just the new tank syndrome. I added a UV light and all resolved. In the second month, I added a wild coral beauty and couple of zoa frags without dipping or QT and an AI prime light. My rational was, well I need variety of algae in my tank so I will not dip the frags. Right now, the tanks is doing very well in terms of coral propagation, but have algae overgrowth that I'm letting resolve it alone.

However, the coral beauty came with diseases and the domino got infected with flukes but after some 2h2o dips it got resolved, then I realize that the coral beauty was in small space so I rehome it with a friend, the damesel was very aggressive with my hands so I rehome it too (both still alive). I got a clown fish after 3 weeks of no fish in tank, did not QT and clown was doing well for few days. There was an energy shortage in my neighbourhood due to snow storm since 1 am to 8 am so I couldn't do anything and of course the water got cold.
That same day the clown started with flukes not sure if that was due to the disease the coral beauty came with or triggered by the stress caused by the energy shortage, the fish died. After two weeks, I got two wild cardinal bangaggi and a six wrasse, they were doing very well. The wrasse started to showing flukes, but it was eating well all the time. It last two weeks with me, found it in the floor next morning. Until now, the cardinals are alive and no signs of disease at all, they eat very well, all that I offer and pods. The question is, can they carrie the diseases without getting infected? can I still add more fish? if so, how long should I wait? I'm looking for some clowns.

Thank you in advance

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water is infested. You need to QT and treat the surviving fish. You need to allow your tank to go fallow for 4 weeks in order for the fluke cycle to end. Personally, I'd go even longer.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back