Help w/ Coral ID?

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help with ID, please. My LFS is horrible ... every time I would visit this frag would look smaller/worse. I remember it when it was about the size of a small adult, hand. So, I hope to save it. They didn’t know what it was... they sold it to me for $5. It has potential, it was really beautiful (about a month ago.)
My best guess...
Bird of paradise/ birds nest Seriatopora?
I think it’s SPS, but I’m not 100% sure.
Any help is appreciated :)
My photo skills aren’t great. It’s light/neon green with purple tips.
Here it is...

C7D3219F-6E6B-4736-AE8B-901FE34FA7A1.jpeg EC4049D5-D128-464B-B0EC-2C7F5A9EB907.jpeg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help with ID, please. My LFS is horrible ... every time I would visit this frag would look smaller/worse. I remember it when it was about the size of a small adult, hand. So, I hope to save it. They didn’t know what it was... they sold it to me for $5. It has potential, it was really beautiful (about a month ago.)
My best guess...
Bird of paradise/ birds nest Seriatopora?
I think it’s SPS, but I’m not 100% sure.
Any help is appreciated :)
My photo skills aren’t great. It’s light/neon green with purple tips.
Here it is...

C7D3219F-6E6B-4736-AE8B-901FE34FA7A1.jpeg EC4049D5-D128-464B-B0EC-2C7F5A9EB907.jpeg
To me it looks like a type of leather coral

Upvote 1
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a neon green sinularia leather.
Thank you, I’m so glad I asked! I have some mushrooms, but (surprisingly) no toadstools or leathers. I noticed when I spot feed it (reef blizzard) it gets puffy/looks different. It makes sense, now. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps can’t really shrink in size since they have hard calcareous skeletons. If you see a coral moving or bending/swaying in the water, it’s not an sps. That’s either a Sinularia or Nepthea (though I’m leaning towards Sinularia).

Upvote 1
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, Did it look like this healthy? Is the skin leathery to the touch?
PXL_20210423_033748301.jpg
Definitely leathery feel. It was similar... It started out looking like a small tree, it had branches (polyps/I think) ... kind of like stubby fingers. I’m probably horrible at describing it. It stood taller/bigger. Over time... it looked smaller, weaker...shrinking and shriveled. And, the color was off. It started out bright/vivid neon green, with bright purple tips (almost looked like miniature flowers.)

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely leathery feel. It was similar... It started out looking like a small tree, it had branches (polyps/I think) ... kind of like stubby fingers. I’m probably horrible at describing it. It stood taller/bigger. Over time... it looked smaller, weaker...shrinking and shriveled. And, the color was off. It started out bright/vivid neon green, with bright purple tips (almost looked like miniature flowers.)
That pic and your description are enough for me to say it sounds and looks like a green sinularia.

Be advised, my sinularia is a prissy leather coral. It opens and closes at weird intervals, sometimes looks like absolute garbage for a few days on end before standing up and looking glorious again. I found no method to the madness but I don't actually worry about it anymore because I've seen the cycle happen so many times.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps can’t really shrink in size since they have hard calcareous skeletons. If you see a coral moving or bending/swaying in the water, it’s not an sps. That’s either a Sinularia or Nepthea (though I’m leaning towards Sinularia).
The bottom piece/stalk part has stayed the same... it’s like it’s weak. I have the frag leaning on my rock. Because I was scared my flow would destroy it, if I stood it up. I was debating on putting it on a frag rack and place it directly under my gyre... (less to no flow) till it could get stronger/healthy. It perks up when I feed it and my lights have helped (I think.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nursebran

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you for the help. I’m happy with it! I have several unpredictable/finicky corals. I guess, it fits in my (weird) mix. Thanks again! Big help :)

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back