OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the fang blennies - Meiacanthus genus - very personable and always in the water column.
They are neat as well! Heard they could be a biting hazard. Any bad experiences?

You will be fine and I had a McCosker and they are absolutely beautiful and fun to watch!!!!
They really do seem like beautiful fish!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are neat as well! Heard they could be a biting hazard. Any bad experiences?

I’ve had a few over the years, no biting hazard whatsoever. Very friendly.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a Paracheilinus species in a tank less than 3 feet in length; they do need swimming room.
I was worried about that. What are you thoughts on the pink streaked or possum wrasse? Are they active? Hardy? Would they be okay with a yellowline goby, banggai cardinalfish and firefish? Or do you have any other wrasse recommendations?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thoughts on the pink streaked or possum wrasse? Are they active? Hardy? Would they be okay with a yellowline goby, banggai cardinalfish and firefish? Or do you have any other wrasse recommendations?
Either would be fine, and both are the most suitable choices for the tank size.
You'll see the pink streak a bit more.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse.
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse.jpg

Last edited:

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with any fish, putting them in an acclamation box, for a few days, helps a lot. It really reduces stress, with the fish gets used to it’s surrounds. It also allows you to watch the fish for a while, to identify any aggression.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with any fish, putting them in an acclamation box, for a few days, helps a lot. It really reduces stress, with the fish gets used to it’s surrounds. It also allows you to watch the fish for a while, to identify any aggression.
Thanks for the suggestion! Have any recommendations on one you like?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion! Have any recommendations on one you like?
B00614A9-8760-4844-A381-5F691A7B9813.jpeg

Critter Cage from megapetamart. I think it was $15 (4 years old). I attached a spare magnet, that I had lying around.
It works best to melt the holes in...soldering iron, or a hot poker and your stovetop:)

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon with 7 gallon sump. I have a sailfin fairy wrasse. I'd like to pair him with a pest eating wrasse. I'd rather not get a 6 line. Is there another pest eating wrasse i can add or will that cause issues with the fairy?

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon with 7 gallon sump. I have a sailfin fairy wrasse. I'd like to pair him with a pest eating wrasse. I'd rather not get a 6 line. Is there another pest eating wrasse i can add or will that cause issues with the fairy?
The fish compatibility chart shows caution regarding the keeping of multiple Wrasses. Could be trouble.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus sp) can only be paired with some other fairy wrasses for aggression. There is a compatibilty chart (sticky) to show which ones. A 6 line ( Pseudocheilinus sp )is not a fairy and can work with one, but can get aggressive.

A 45g is a bit small for a lot of fish, but some of the wrasses like flashers (Paracheilinus sp) would work.

The real question is what types of pests are you trying to control? Not all wrasses eat all pests.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus sp) can only be paired with some other fairy wrasses for aggression. There is a compatibilty chart (sticky) to show which ones. A 6 line ( Pseudocheilinus sp )is not a fairy and can work with one, but can get aggressive.

A 45g is a bit small for a lot of fish, but some of the wrasses like flashers (Paracheilinus sp) would work.

The real question is what types of pests are you trying to control? Not all wrasses eat all pests.
Don’t really have any at this point. I realized after my 6 line jumped in my old tank I had a huge increase in spaghetti worms.

also I have room for one more fish (I think for bioload) and would prefer a wrasse if possible

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t really have any at this point. I realized after my 6 line jumped in my old tank I had a huge increase in spaghetti worms.

also I have room for one more fish (I think for bioload) and would prefer a wrasse if possible

Make sure you have a tight fitting cover. Mine jump out of the water and hit the cover almost daily. If it wasn't there I'd have wrasse jerky,

Back