OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only see fin damage. Is he moving at all, or just laying on his side like that?

Edit: looks like he also missed a few meals. Belly looks a little sunken. Unless it's the light.
He’s still moving, but listless and is on his side most of the time.
You’re correct that he’s missed meals…there are plenty of pods to eat, but the pellets she steals from his mouth.
The female is interested in him, probably wondering why he’s sleeping in…

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Nemo’s still hanging on. Just laying there but is breathing and looking around.

I really wish there was more I could do. I would absolutely have put him in the quarantine tank by now if it weren’t occupied. Poor timing for all this to happen…

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clownfish has decided to divorce my male in much the same way I just removed my male as he doesnt look good fins are all torn up and color is worse.

Made a small video of some behavior it was more violent than what's on the video but she kept charging him.

20210924_085638.jpg

You can see the fin damage in the photo :(

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clownfish has decided to divorce my male in much the same way I just removed my male as he doesnt look good fins are all torn up and color is worse.

Made a small video of some behavior it was more violent than what's on the video but she kept charging him.

20210924_085638.jpg

You can see the fin damage in the photo :(

Unfortunately, you may not be able to ever reintroduce them. I tried different methods to subdue clown aggression, but ultimately if the female doesn’t like the male, it will kill the male.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up moving both clownfish over to the new tank and now they are a happy couple again both twitching towards each other. I wonder if it was some agression due to anemone or territory?
20210924_123903.jpg

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do decide to try it again you might have better luck with a bigger tank, they do like to have a good amount of swimming room. I'm leaning towards a 20 long for my next tank for a pair of ocellaris clowns again. Got blood orange clowns in the 30 now, they tolerate each other but not paired off yet, the female does get a bit rough at times.

I'm currently waiting on a six line wrasse to get shipped, idea was another semi-aggressive fish to break up the aggression from the female. Not sure it will work out like I hope, or if live aquaria is ever gonna ship it but was what my lfs had suggested on the first tank with clowns.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up moving both clownfish over to the new tank and now they are a happy couple again both twitching towards each other. I wonder if it was some agression due to anemone or territory?
20210924_123903.jpg
I'm glad to hear that the aggression has stopped, though I must warn that the only reason the female has current;y stopped picking on the male right now is because she is disoriented by the new territory. Once she gets used to the new scape and claims it, she'll quickly start beating up the male again. It's not so much a territorial thing as it is the female rejecting her partner because he's too weak.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear that the aggression has stopped, though I must warn that the only reason the female has current;y stopped picking on the male right now is because she is disoriented by the new territory. Once she gets used to the new scape and claims it, she'll quickly start beating up the male again. It's not so much a territorial thing as it is the female rejecting her partner because he's too weak.
You are probably correct. So far still no agression. He is definitely tip toeing around her. May just move him back into the other tank before the weekend.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back