Help with lighting.

ClowinRound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know this subject has been brought up before. And I have read some of the other comparison threads. I was looking at the Radions G4 pro vs the Hydra 52 HD. I can't figure the extra cost, with the $400 savings, I can get a MP40.
I had a few questions
If you have them, how far of the water are they placed?
Can great growth and color still be had with the Hydras?
If you have them, can you post pictures?
I've seen this http://www.aquaillumination.com/science/par.html

But are the Radions really worth it? Please dnt suggest other light it's already hard enough. Thank everyone

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any features that stand out that the hydra doesn't have? Guessing since RadionG4 are newer
To be honest I switched back to T5 after using LED for over 10 years. I got tired of chasing features and upgrades. So I’m not the best person to tell you feature differences between the two. :/

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify if you're talking about an XR30 or XR15? I don't think you're going to get the spread you want with a single fixture of either Radion or Hydra 52. Have you thought of going with two Hydra 26 or two Kessil A360WE?

OP
OP
ClowinRound

ClowinRound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The XR30 pro. I'm going with a simple island look. So I figured the light would mainly be over that

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you completely against two fixtures? With two lower power fixtures, you'll get the spread across the full length of the tank but where the lights overlap you'll have higher par for keeping more demanding corals.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you plan on keeping for corals? Is your tank ready for more PAR-demanding corals? Are you open to other manufacturers? What about a single XR15W G4 Pro, Kessil A360WE, or even AI Prime HD over your island, then when you're interested in more PAR-demanding corals, you could get a second one and let them overlap over your island? Were you originally thinking of lighting your tank with one $800 XR30W G4 Pro or $600 Hydra 52?

OP
OP
ClowinRound

ClowinRound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm restarting my 55gl. my wife wants a tank in the house again. and dnt have time ro funds to start out dream build just yet so, 55 gl it is. originally I was thinking 2 . hydras, but if I can get going with a radion and buy the second later once tank matures for SPS.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the PAR spread of the Hydra 52 and XR30W G4 Pro, I don't doubt that at a high enough mounting point the whole tank would be illuminated but I think the light would be so uneven. I ran one Prime HD over my 40 breeder for a couple months before getting another. I was at 100% with one and it was noticeably dim on the sides near the top of the tank. With two I get much more even light throughout the tank with a lower mounting height and about 80% output from the fixtures. If I ever need more PAR I can supplement with ReefBrites or T5. What did you think about two Hydra 26 or two Kessil A360WE?

OP
OP
ClowinRound

ClowinRound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I hadnt even thought about the 26 HD. Will they grow sps. I havnt checked the par readings from the web site

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe all SPS require super high PAR to grow but if you're talking about PAR in the 250-350 range, then yes. Certainly where two 26s overlap.

Back