Help with skimmer reccomendation

Leerph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500 gallon system with 180 gallon sump that has been up and running for about 15 years. Currently I am using a MRC dual beckett skimmer that is fed by a pair of Mag 18 pumps. Yeah it draws a lot of power but it has served me well for over a decade. Today one of my Mag 18 pumps finally bit the dust. Now I am looking for recommendations from others with large systems. From what I have read, the newer style skimmers out there really struggle to handle large tanks unless you spend a small fortune on one. My options are to replace my Mag 18, replace the Mag 18 with a similar pump that hopefully would get my power bill down, swap out to 1 really big pump to replace the 2 mag 18s, or scrap the whole thing and upgrade to a newer style skimmer. Looking on any suggestions before I make my decision. Thanks.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would upgrade to a new one. I didn't spend a fortune on my Bubble Magus Curve D9 and it does a decent job on my 250 gallon system. DC pumps are going to allow you to tune the skimmer in ways you just can't with an AC pump.

OP
OP
L

Leerph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one isn't rated for a tank as big as mine. I'm not finding very many that are rated for a tank of my size. And recommendations on any that are?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Royal Exclusiv skimmers, they actually tell you to go to a smaller size. I'll be around 400 gallons of total water volume and they said that a BK Double Cone 250 is fine or if you feed heavier 300 is more than enough that you can tune down. I currently use a 200 on my 210 and it over skims

bulkreefsupply.com/bubble-king-supermarin-300-protein-skimmer-royal-exclusiv-usa-llc.html
  • Heavy Bioload - 500 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 845 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 1,056 Gallons
  • Heavy Bioload - 375 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 634 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 793 Gallons

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed out my RedSea skimmer with a Nyos skimmer and couldn't be any happier. It's super quiet and can easily be tuned to your liking. My tank is about 300 gal system volume and I used the 220. The 330 has dual pumps and is meant for larger tanks:
  • Heavy Bioload (Most Common) - 250 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 600 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 1000 Gallons

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like your skimmer, I would just replace the Mag18. Modern needle wheels are more energy efficient, but in terms of functionality , they all just produce bubbles.

Last edited:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one isn't rated for a tank as big as mine. I'm not finding very many that are rated for a tank of my size. And recommendations on any that are?
For sure mine wouldn't be big enough for your tank but they do make some twice this size. I'm not married to Bubble Magus but i feel they're good performance for the money and you seemed sensitive to cost. As you should be.

OP
OP
L

Leerph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah call me old school but shelling out 2 grand or more on a skimmer just seems nuts. It's amazing how the cost of entry to this hobby has sky rocketed over the years.

OP
OP
L

Leerph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here she is. She's worked flawless for over a decade. It does need air adjustment about once a week, and I have to remove and clean the injectors every couple months. The 2 mag 18s have been working for over a decade as well. I just lost one of them as stated above. I'm all for anything that reduces maintenance or electric bills, but not willing to pay a thousand dollars or more to do it. I found a couple used ones in the classifieds, but they are all discontinued models and I worry about not being able to get the pumps needed to run them down the road. The ability to use any kind of pump is a big deal since it makes them future proof as take nothing can go wrong with the acrylic parts themselves.

Attachments

• 20211104_215411.jpg
    20211104_215411.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 51

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. My opinion is to upgrade the pumps to dc pumps. I don't think the needle or mesh wheel impellers are needed cuz its a old school skimmer like the lifereefs.
Also older skimmers are available like the older reef octopus recirculating models and bubble magus made an internal double pumper too.
I'll throw some links if a whole new skimmer is in store for u! Exciting lol
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ these are some more externals.
My new aquavitri skimmer with the 2 pumps and recirculation mod on it says it will do 700g volume in the book it came with but idk about that. Lol!
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i love my.lifereef.
I have a vs3 with an additional 13.5" height chamber added and the enlarged collection cup. Can't go wrong. I used a 55 blueline HD pump.
Maybe u can go to just 1 big pump?
D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back