Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m having “pipe dreams”. Going to be next addition once I get what I have situated.
They're available from Kush Corals, WWC and Live Aquaria, I'm sure elsewhere but I saw them at all 3 websites today.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're available from Kush Corals, WWC and Live Aquaria, I'm sure elsewhere but I saw them at all 3 websites today.
Been looking at them with the family all day. There are some spectacular ones. And the TG video was good!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that was my plan then I saw some vids of people cutting them off the disc with a wet saw. Seemed like a little overkill.
Ah I see. I’ve done it in the past and lost almost all the acros I tried it with. The base has trouble healing while competing with microfauna for space on the rock I believe. The only one that survived that method is my tricolor valida.
Since starting my new frag growout method before mounting on rock, I haven’t lost any thank god.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. I’ve done it in the past and lost almost all the acros I tried it with. The base has trouble healing while competing with microfauna for space on the rock I believe. The only one that survived that method is my tricolor valida.
Since starting my new frag growout method before mounting on rock, I haven’t lost any thank god.
So you leave them in the rack until the start to grow

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you leave them in the rack until the start to grow
Yea. Like all these I’m getting them to encrust a large base angled downward so they have a firm strong base, which will then encourage vertical growth.
Sorry for the bad pics
B03D036A-23B6-43F6-8F9A-5561D3052E7F.jpeg

E95A5A5A-12FA-4DCF-BC3A-9B34D9DC9593.jpeg

088F3F28-6C67-4174-8B21-3F49C3A6E962.jpeg

This last one my RR The Vinh, I plan to remount on a wider frag plug tomorrow, I just got my brs shipment of stuff a few days ago including a few hundred plugs of different sizes.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said, I call it pre growth, the white line you see at the base flesh edges, it uses energy to sting a clear path as it grows so it can base out better / easier, keep you plugs clean people, the corals will love you for it.
Coraline is not your friend! ;)

DSC_0230 (1024x692).jpg
That is such a nice acro!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alot of good info while catching up.

Last weekend I snapped a frag of yellow tip just above the frag plug. I reglued it in the same spot a noticed the tip looks to be fading. Not sure if they are related or what’s going on
Thanks!
Ouch, yea that will take awhile to bounce back if it regrows together. I would maybe glue it to a fresh plug in that scenario. That’s happened to me before :( it stinks.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Ouch, yea that will take awhile to bounce back if it regrows together. I would maybe glue it to a fresh plug in that scenario. That’s happened to me before :( it stinks.
I started to think a new frag plug may have been better. Guess we will see what happens. They are test prices to get my feet wet

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to think a new frag plug may have been better. Guess we will see what happens. They are test prices to get my feet wet
Niceee! Well losing a few is part of it. I lost at least 10 before I stopped killing them. There’s a quick learning curve with acros. A lot of husbandry routines I was doing required alteration, elaboration, additional household precautions, and de-ornamentalization of my coral. The hobby became much more of a science for me. I got serious and learned everything I could from the smartest people with the best sps tanks. Late-night reading thousands of pages of thriving sps tank threads. Even now I still have trouble with good growth, but I know what my issues are.
The smartest thing I did was stopped listening to people that have no idea what they are talking about. I keep seeing that happen on here, really bad advice given and then parroted again shortly after on a different thread and that new false knowledge being taken as truth. It’s really concerning; it creates a pataphorical reality of what is the proper way to take care of these amazing animals, in which it ultimately leads to their demise. It’s sad.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that was my plan then I saw some vids of people cutting them off the disc with a wet saw. Seemed like a little overkill.
This is usually done to keep anything pest related free. eggs are usually on the base of the coral/plug.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez louise, I need to visit this thread at least every other day in order to keep up. @Hemmdog I usually do the same with my acros, cut the nipple off and glue to another plug in order to promote vertical growth. Tank is looking great as always.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez louise, I need to visit this thread at least every other day in order to keep up. @Hemmdog I usually do the same with my acros, cut the nipple off and glue to another plug in order to promote vertical growth. Tank is looking great as always.
Thanks man! Haha yea some days it moves, some days it’s quiet. I love when we get a good discussion going on here.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niceee! Well losing a few is part of it. I lost at least 10 before I stopped killing them. There’s a quick learning curve with acros. A lot of husbandry routines I was doing required alteration, elaboration, additional household precautions, and de-ornamentalization of my coral. The hobby became much more of a science for me. I got serious and learned everything I could from the smartest people with the best sps tanks. Late-night reading thousands of pages of thriving sps tank threads. Even now I still have trouble with good growth, but I know what my issues are.
The smartest thing I did was stopped listening to people that have no idea what they are talking about. I keep seeing that happen on here, really bad advice given and then parroted again shortly after on a different thread and that new false knowledge being taken as truth. It’s really concerning; it creates a pataphorical reality of what is the proper way to take care of these amazing animals, in which it ultimately leads to their demise. It’s sad.
This was a nice comment. Only now have I really dialed in my SPS skills. I’m curious, what info have you heard or read that is just poor advice in your opinion? For me, I think when people post parameters when they have failures, it’s common to hear people say change a hundred things to get your alk to a specific level, to dial up or down NO3 and PO4. Chasing parameters basically. My biggest win was stability in a slightly aged tank. Being it biodiversity working itself out, uglies stage being well gone, an absence of dinos and the like, and husbandry.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back