Hi!

lysaer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obligatory "new member!" post time. :)

I'm an experienced FW keeper jumping headfirst into the SW world. I am currently cycling a 55g tank, and have 5 coral frags in a QT waiting on the big tank to finish cycling. I know I should have waited on the coral but you can't argue with a 40% off sale. The corals are 2 zoas, an Australian prism, and 2 I haven't exactly identified. I also apparently am the proud owner of quite a number of aiptasia, including one *really* big one (like, US quarter sized in center disk that extends out over an inch when the light's on) that I'm hoping don't kill my frags before the big tank finishes cycling and I can add a peppermint shrimp to eat 'em up yum.

My LFS is a great resource, the owner has been super helpful with getting me set up and not just trying to make some money off me.

Tank details...I've got a 4 stage canister filter that's currently using filter pads, Seachem Matrix, and UV light although I have the UV off while cycling the tank. I have 25 pounds of base rock, and 25 pounds of "Life Rock", with 40 pounds of Bimini Pink live sand. The canister runs about 264gph, so I've got two 1300gph powerheads in opposite corners of the tank set to run alternating day/night currents.

Lights are set...Actinics on at Noon, 12k whites at 1pm, actinics off at 2pm, actinics back on at 8pm, 12k whites off at 9pm, actinics off at 10pm. One powerhead runs from 1pm-9pm, the other from 9pm-1pm. Tank temperature is maintained right at 26 degrees C from a 300w heater set up by the filter's spray bar.

Hydrometer is reading a little high right now, I'll be doing a partial water change this weekend (if the numbers are right, the tank should be cycled by Saturday) and putting in non-salted RODI to get the salt numbers down some.

Current plan is to add a couple turbo or trochus snails, a peppermint shrimp, and a pair of clowns once the tank is fully cycled and stable with the numbers, and more fish as time/money/load permits. :D

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.:D

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME TO R2R.
th.jpg

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.:)

dan987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! sounds like you are off to a great start.

If you haven't already heard this a hundred times:
I recommend going very slowly. (especially with quarantining fish and corals)
Perhaps the first thing you add should be the peppermint shrimp. that way it can eat up those aiptasia.
if you can see a bunch of tiny life forms in your tank, its off to a good start.

OP
OP
lysaer

lysaer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first day I put the base rock in the tank and put the first batch (15g) of saltwater in, I noticed some little silvery shrimp looking things - I think they're copepods? Or however you spell that. Anyway. I noticed them kinda perched on the rocks or float-swimming in the water. The next day, I put the life rock in, 2 20lb bags of live sand in, and another 15g of water, got the filter started running in it and added the heater. The next day the last 15g of water went in (filling up the tank) and the powerheads went in. I have not seen any signs of life in the tank since then. The numbers seem to be processing - as of today I have nitrites and nitrates and the ammonia is under 1ppm (it was 2ppm 24 hours ago) and I've added Seachem Stability bacteria as instructed. I've looked in the tank in daylight, and a couple hours after the lights go off with a flashlight and with a flashlight shining through some red plastic.

Nothing. :( No worms, no snails, no hitchhikers, no more visible copepods or anything that I see everybody else talking about. Sigh. I want critters!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home to R2R, you'll love it here!!

We all started in Fw... It's a disease! :D

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back