Hi!

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m a new saltwater keeper. I’ve owned many successful planted freshwater aquariums in the past and after visiting a local reef store in town three months ago for some extra rock scape for my freshwater tanks, I fell in love.

I’m currently running three aquariums. I have 2 20 Gallon Long aquariums, both with AI Prime Reef 16HD, Fluval 207 Cannister filters, an MP10 each, and Aqueon Pro 100W heaters. I also just recently set up an IM Nuvo 15 - I’m running an AI Prime 16 freshwater on that right now as I plan to use macro algae in the display. The nuvo 15 is going to be a mantis shrimp tank.
If you have any recommendations, suggestions, harsh criticism, please let me hear it. I would love to grow and learn as a new salt keeper and I appreciate your time!

(If anyone could also let me know about the hair algae I’m currently experiencing on certain rocks, I would appreciate it. The rocks it’s growing in were purchased from a separate saltwater store in town - the only information provided to me when I bought them were that it was from a clients tank and they no longer cared for the pieces - so they are truly aged. They started growing hair algae(?) and slime on them).

Thank you

i9OWKXP.jpg

FOECINT.jpg

0E7KG9P.jpg

g8hohAW.jpg

rbaediz.jpg

tqNVpkb.jpg

unlWl10.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Its hard to know exactly how the rock was treated before you bought it. If it was out of water for a while before the store got it and had some die off it could be fueling the green hair algae growth.

Do you know what your nitrate and phosphate levels are? I would recommend giving the rock a good scrub with a brush while siphoning out what comes off. Then you could stock up on some clean up crew to keep it in check. Doing regular water changes will help keep your parameters in check and stop algea growth as well.

OP
OP
Amber.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Its hard to know exactly how the rock was treated before you bought it. If it was out of water for a while before the store got it and had some die off it could be fueling the green hair algae growth.

Do you know what your nitrate and phosphate levels are? I would recommend giving the rock a good scrub with a brush while siphoning out what comes off. Then you could stock up on some clean up crew to keep it in check. Doing regular water changes will help keep your parameters in check and stop algea growth as well.
Right now they are sitting at 0.1 and 0.1 respectively on Po4 and No3 across the 3 tanks. This is tap water ran and topped off.
Thank you! I’m from a long line of “water changes are evil” type family. I have not done a water change since they were all established. 3 months, 2 1/2 months, and now 2 weeks respectively. I need to get in the habit of doing atleast a biweekly two or three gallon exchange I’ve read. I have been developing a “biofilm” on the top of one of the 20 gallon tanks - I increased surface agitation and it seems to have made it dissipate.

OP
OP
Amber.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day and welcome! I bet you are busy with the three!
Its going to be four soon. Ill be adding an additional Nuvo 15 down the road and then upgrading the two 20 gallon tanks into one large combined display in the future. I am taking a hands off approach to fixing problems with chemicals - I am going to be primarily applying mechanical methods to fix them. (Like using some good ol' elbow grease on the algae tomorrow!). What primarily constitutes as "busy"?

My daughter keeps calling me the "crazy mom" because I cannot stop accumulating fish tanks. She thinks I should just live in one at this point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back