tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not necessarily most likely is possible but I’ve pooped and dropped his frags into my tank and they did very well and even kept their color
Plopped and dropped, right?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
@SBB Corals If a client has their alk at 7-7.3 and purchases a coral that is kept in 12 alk, would that cause STN/RTN once placed in the client's tank?

this is a very very good question and i would love to here other chime in as well.

I am not sure TBO i heard that in indonesia the alk is very un stable and changes alot with the high and low tides, but that once the corals are in our tanks for long period of time they become used to be very stable. Personally we have a few systems and the alk varaies from one to the next by about 1 dkh. Also we use red Sea pro salt now and the Alk jumps up about .5 DKH on each water change but then comes back down. With that said I do think if the Alk is from 7 in one tank and then goes into 12 on another tank it may affect it. BUt i am not totattly sure most people would probally say this would have a bad affect.

what is your current alk and do you have a bad experiance with this.

As mentioned would love to hear other comments ....

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol would love to see some of the pics here of the ones you got! @Alex's Nano Reef
i got you later today ill take some nice pics.
this is a very very good question and i would love to here other chime in as well.

I am not sure TBO i heard that in indonesia the alk is very un stable and changes alot with the high and low tides, but that once the corals are in our tanks for long period of time they become used to be very stable. Personally we have a few systems and the alk varaies from one to the next by about 1 dkh. Also we use red Sea pro salt now and the Alk jumps up about .5 DKH on each water change but then comes back down. With that said I do think if the Alk is from 7 in one tank and then goes into 12 on another tank it may affect it. BUt i am not totattly sure most people would probally say this would have a bad affect.

almost like conditioning for a sport . My alk is at 10.5-11 and i got polyp extension within hours of putting fresh frags in yesterday.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My alk jumps around 7-9 daily and I never have any problems. I’ve had multiple equipment malfunctions where I had +5 dKh swings and never had any issues.
Alk swings are not sps killers. If you can’t keep sps quit chasing your tail worrying about alk “stability”. Look somewhere else

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk jumps around 7-9 daily and I never have any problems. I’ve had multiple equipment malfunctions where I had +5 dKh swings and never had any issues.
Alk swings are not sps killers. If you can’t keep sps quit chasing your tail worrying about alk “stability”. Look somewhere else
One of my big revelations in keeping sps was salinity stability. couldn't keep sps before ato, am able to after. or it could have been the Apex Dos i hooked up but i was already dosing pretty steady before that.

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some Frags I got from Shane this past sale. This is how they come in all I use is a single orange filter and a macro lense from orphek. No post at all.
Steel Reserve (Tenuis)
050E095A-CA88-4BC1-93EB-695B04EFA532.jpeg

SBB Pink Mango (Tenuis)
2E35BFA3-B4FB-479F-8BB9-8B79E659B797.jpeg

SBB Volcano (milli)
C586827B-C777-496D-A58F-71703C7924D0.jpeg

Freebie frag (Milli)
FA663298-42F5-4EA9-A892-FD9124F33E6B.jpeg

SBB Sailor Moon (idk specie)
39C869B6-2AAE-437B-8672-02FD3AC943DD.jpeg

SBB Sugar daddy (granulosa or Carduus)
F4872447-3B14-4D1D-948A-F26B64FD1330.jpeg

SBB Reverse Strat
1C1CCFF7-7E02-4F8B-B535-97E719958549.jpeg

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll check my identification skills..
reverse strat
sugar daddy
sailor moon
volcano
???
You forgot Tasty Taffy, Bugs Bunny, and Cosmic Bubblegum. I was going to ask - @Alex's Nano Reef - Sailor Moon or Blood Moon?

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys after 3 years I feel like this tank is decent enough and need to start a new tank... I set up a new 120 Gallon Display tank with some bonsai tree Rock work and plan to select some frags from the main display for this new tenuis grow out. its going to be a long journey replicating the main system parameters and growing the selected frags out. I am also excited to see how the radian g5s compare to the g4s. In the current tank they are grown using the g4s and the new tank will be the g5s.

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

ZgPF2HJ4.jpeg

3.jpeg

1.jpeg

4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
11.jpeg
12.jpeg
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

jI6qLVjU.jpeg

ES5tR27w.jpeg

pB_5euFo.jpeg

teMefT6A.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

hoarder.jpg

full tank.jpg

Below is the new 120 Gallon Display tank with the Bonsai Tree branches. this is the tank that will get the new frah cutting. Will be fun to see them grow and crust onto the branches :)

jungle.jpg
Absolutely insane!!! Never came across this thread before. Super crazy color awesomeness.

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SBB Corals If a client has their alk at 7-7.3 and purchases a coral that is kept in 12 alk, would that cause STN/RTN once placed in the client's tank?

My alk and other parameters are all stable. I keep my KH at 7-7.3..that is my swing. With low nitrates and PO4 that is my sweet spot for KH. 90% of my tank is acros. Don't want to spend $300+ for one frag and have it STN/RTN because it was kept in a high KH

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk and other parameters are all stable. I keep my KH at 7-7.3..that is my swing. With low nitrates and PO4 that is my sweet spot for KH. 90% of my tank is acros. Don't want to spend $300+ for one frag and have it STN/RTN because it was kept in a high KH
Currently I’m raising my nutrients from .06 Po4 and 13.6 No3 to around .08-.1 and to 16-20 on No3

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep 70- 85% of acros you purchase alive and healthy then an alk change from a vendors tank to yours will not be a problem.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back