ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it is all there... it is our whole routine from A-Z. also i am happy to answer any of your questions here :)
OK taking up that generous offer.

Say you had somehow missed some AEFW eggs on the way in and had a mild outbreak in your frag system. Hypothetical of course. What would you do? (Not a reef system but a separate frag system.)

I am asking for a friend of course.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Curious what your source water TDS is?

it is around 210 although its usually like 280 seems like the source water is cleaner today then normal

119949017_1035617320209062_4486599420715931260_n.jpg

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Shane. Great to have you here. You said your main system you're currently dosing 180ml of each Alk and Calcium? I am curious what's the water volume on that system.

What two part are you using? ESV B-ionic? BRS Dry? or something else? If its a standard dry (Soda Ash & Calcium chloride) I feel like with your sps load that amount seems quite low.

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of the mother colonies I plan to frag for the new 120 grow out ..it will be interesting to watch a small frag growup and crust over the branch rockwork :)not the best quality video but I didn't want to disturb the polyps.

And what are these called? My god...

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
OK taking up that generous offer.

Say you had somehow missed some AEFW eggs on the way in and had a mild outbreak in your frag system. Hypothetical of course. What would you do? (Not a reef system but a separate frag system.)

I am asking for a friend of course.

this is very easy solution and AEFW is not anything to be scared of. after the 1st dip the coral will recover and then you need to dip them for 8 weeks in a row. If you put all your corals on racks and then drop the whole rack each time the whole process will only take 30 minutes per week. very easy. the trick is to cut all the corals from the rocks and put them all onto a frag rack.... i would try by 1st just dipping the whole rake they are currently on 8 weeks in a row.. .if you see signs on your other corals then you will have to cut them all off the rocks... consider AEFW one more stripe toward getting your reefing blackbet.. :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is very easy solution and AEFW is not anything to be scared of. after the 1st dip the coral will recover and then you need to dip them for 8 weeks in a row. If you put all your corals on racks and then drop the whole rack each time the whole process will only take 30 minutes per week. very easy. the trick is to cut all the corals from the rocks and put them all onto a frag rack.... i would try by 1st just dipping the whole rake they are currently on 8 weeks in a row.. .if you see signs on your other corals then you will have to cut them all off the rocks... consider AEFW one more stripe toward getting your reefing blackbet.. :)

On track with this advice. While previously a Bayer dipper, I switched to Melafix (Melaleuca/tea tree oil) for this and it makes them let loose at basting. You have a different Go/To dip for AEFW?

My friend(s) are curious.

Thanks for your reply. Nice website btw.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well said! Also if the outbreak is mild you can get away with 5-6 weeks But I always like to say try to do 8 as well. It’s good to see another reefer saying not to be scared of aefw. The stigma around this pest I think is what makes people scared. Everyone will go through it at some point if your into acros. Once you deal with it you feel much better and reefing is much more fun. I see so many reefers who haven’t had them and are soooo scared of getting them that it almost ruins the hobby for them.

Looking forward to more pics now!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Shane. Great to have you here. You said your main system you're currently dosing 180ml of each Alk and Calcium? I am curious what's the water volume on that system.

What two part are you using? ESV B-ionic? BRS Dry? or something else? If its a standard dry (Soda Ash & Calcium chloride) I feel like with your sps load that amount seems quite low.
Hello thanks for your question! on the main system it is 560 gallons. I am use ESV Ionic 2 part i dont think 180ML is that much TBO for this system

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
On track with this advice. While previously a Bayer dipper, I switched to Melafix (Melaleuca/tea tree oil) for this and it makes them let loose at basting. You have a different Go/To dip for AEFW?

My friend(s) are curious.

Thanks for your reply. Nice website btw.
I use Potassium Chloride. 2 Tablespoons per gallon

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shane thanks for the tips. I will be watching this thread closely and definitely experimenting with higher nitrates. Are you running skimmerless? My skimmer is oversized and is bottoming out nitrates almost monthly while dosing loudwolf NaNo3. The part you mentioned about saturating the tank makes a lot of sense. I too have struggled to keep them up while dosing nitrates.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
shane thanks for the tips. I will be watching this thread closely and definitely experimenting with higher nitrates. Are you running skimmerless? My skimmer is oversized and is bottoming out nitrates almost monthly while dosing loudwolf NaNo3. The part you mentioned about saturating the tank makes a lot of sense. I too have struggled to keep them up while dosing nitrates.

i use a skimmer and run it 24.7 try to use Brightwell neonitro for increasing your No3 don't be scared to raise it up 10PPM per day. then test it every 12 hours to see where it goes. You can go from 0-15 in one day and its no issue. so be very Generous with the dose until your tank is saturated. then you can back off a little to maintain it at higher levels. It takes a bit getting used to but once you do its easy.. most people are just scared of the unknown and dosing it so much at 1st... they don't see any readying and then get frustrated

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a skimmer and run it 24.7 try to use Brightwell neonitro for increasing your No3 don't be scared to raise it up 10PPM per day. then test it every 12 hours to see where it goes. You can go from 0-15 in one day and its no issue. so be very Generous with the dose until your tank is saturated. then you can back off a little to maintain it at higher levels. It takes a bit getting used to but once you do its easy.. most people are just scared of the unknown and dosing it so much at 1st... they don't see any readying and then get frustrated
Hey im currently getting into acros and so far everything is encrusting nicely, only issue is that my phosphates are constantly dropping so i gotta dose 0.10 ppm phosphate per day so they dont fall to 0. Thing is im starting to grow algae, any experience with using fluconazole to kill bryopsis? And if so any effects on your acros?

Back