High Light Clams

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am working on my rebuild and upgrade. I want to make a spot for a couple clams since I lost my last to in a crash. Someone told me the J Sprung posted pics or an article of Corcea clams in like 5" of water. Is that true? Do they really like that much light? I was thinking maybe like 1/2 way up the rocks but not higher then that. They will be under 6*39 watts of T5s. The tank will be 24" deep. If they do like that much light are there other clams that like that much light?

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure Skinz has all the 411.

But from what I remember, Crocea clams prefer the highest light out of all the giant clams...

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that the Crocea's are the most light demanding of the giant clams, closely followed by Maxima's. In the oceans reefs they are found at depths up to about 15 feet.

I am sure you will be fine with the depth you mentioned. I currently have a Crocea in my tank which is 24" deep and it is at the bottom half of the tank. My light is a overdriven 6 bulb 54w T5 setup.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that the Crocea's are the most light demanding of the giant clams, closely followed by Maxima's. In the oceans reefs they are found at depths up to about 15 feet.

I am sure you will be fine with the depth you mentioned. I currently have a Crocea in my tank which is 24" deep and it is at the bottom half of the tank. My light is a overdriven 6 bulb 54w T5 setup.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back