High Nitrate Mixed Reef 50-70ppm

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW I love this idea actually. As much as I would love to remove a skimmer this is a definite viable option. So you just drop the pump into the first compartment of the sump?

Yes, pump feeds in to the hang on feeder box from the sump. After it fills, it will spill out the other end of the feeder box and back into the sump.

You have room. If you clear out the bottles of additives on the right side of the sump, I think it will ft nicely.

OP
OP
phildoingthings

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pump feeds in to the hang on feeder box from the sump. After it fills, it will spill out the other end of the feeder box and back into the sump.

You have room. If you clear out the bottles of additives on the right side of the sump, I think it will ft nicely.
Does it matter which chamber it fills back into? does it have to return into the same source? ex. skimmer chamber, return chamber, etc.?

OP
OP
phildoingthings

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great reef aquaria have had phosphate above 1 ppm and nitrate above 100 ppm, and most reefers would be envious of the aquarium. Richard Ross’ tank comes to mind.
yeah I've heard and seen this mans tank and holy moly. That's why I made this post... seems like a lot of people in this hobby chase a specific number as the "norm" when I have a "if everything is thriving don't mess with it" mentality. I would like to lower the number a bit that being said but I see the point you're making.

OP
OP
phildoingthings

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My general rule is that if all the life in the tank is happy AND, it all looks good (no crazy algae issues), and nothing is SO out of balance that it could easily cause severe issues, then let it go and thrive (but keep an eye on it).

With that being said, I can't see a reason why adding a refugium would be a bad thing, so if you want to, go for it.
I agree totally. I think I will try to add a Fuge. to my current sump set up. Like you said it cant be a bad thing. Im going to start vodka dosing just to drop the numbers a bit.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter which chamber it fills back into? does it have to return into the same source? ex. skimmer chamber, return chamber, etc.?

That's the cool thing about this setup, it works anywhere you have room for it. ;)

OP
OP
phildoingthings

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Vodka Dosing. And traded in my diamond goby and cardinal fish. Goby was making the biggest mess and the cardinal got banished to the back of the tank by my wrasse and tang so for his own comfort was removed. 2 less fish might help with the nitrates as well.

Dom I ordered the HOB fuge. Worth a shot and I’ll post pictures when it arrives. Thanks for the help

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Vodka Dosing. And traded in my diamond goby and cardinal fish. Goby was making the biggest mess and the cardinal got banished to the back of the tank by my wrasse and tang so for his own comfort was removed. 2 less fish might help with the nitrates as well.

Dom I ordered the HOB fuge. Worth a shot and I’ll post pictures when it arrives. Thanks for the help
Keep us posted.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add an algae scrubber. It sits above your sump on any support you can put it on. Magnificent at removing nutrients as well keeping ph up. With nutrients that high i think algae will become a problem sooner or later. ATS's give nasty algae a better spot to grow than in your tank. Heres how i did mine
20230827_090605.jpg

OP
OP
phildoingthings

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so….I installed the hang on fuge today. I went with the CPR aquatic aquafuge in the small size. (biggest that would fit in my sump) the unit is nice. The only modification I had to make was I turned the return pump line and extended it with vinyl hose so that is was both pulling water AND returning it to the same sump chamber (skimmer chamber) I stocked it with chaeto, and some eco pods from Algae Barn, as well as some bio media.

My nitrates/phosphates after week 1 of vodka dosing are at
NO-approx 60ppm
PO-approx .25ppm
Will up the dose in week 2 and continue to monitor every week before upping the dose.

IMG_2265.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpeg
    IMG_2266.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2267.jpeg
    IMG_2267.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
phildoingthings

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add an algae scrubber. It sits above your sump on any support you can put it on. Magnificent at removing nutrients as well keeping ph up. With nutrients that high i think algae will become a problem sooner or later. ATS's give nasty algae a better spot to grow than in your tank. Heres how i did mine
20230827_090605.jpg
I like the scrubber but space wasn’t in my favor here without replumbing the tank/buying a new sump. I ended up going the fuge route

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My the nitrate on my 125g is .75 ppm as per hanna (flashing). I had my phos from .01 - .09 ppm as per hanna while having that level of nitrates. What I notice was great color and polyp, no algae, but slow growth on SPS and LPS. Phosphate actually slows down calcification. So, what I did is lower my phos from 0.9 to .05 or .03 (GFO) and then I'll notice the SPS develop the white tips and white rim on montis indicating growth. Now I keep my phos is at 0.13 and 75 ppm or above (using Phosphate-e) and the rim are white again. Still no algae, thanks to HIGH nitrates (I guess). I have a fuge with Mangroves and had "grape algae", which I just replaced for chaeto about two weeks ago. So the nitrate is still high, I'd even carbon dosed, but takes too long to make a change. So, i'm thinking high nitrates is not a bad thing as long as you don't have nuisance algae, just make sure the phos is low for growth.

I wonder if that's the solution to having great color and growth in this hobby "high nitrates and low phos (not undetectable)". I will be purchasing new acros soon to test this theory out, but my corals are already used to these changes....

PS Randy has confirmed there's reef with low phos and high nitrates. :D

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so….I installed the hang on fuge today. I went with the CPR aquatic aquafuge in the small size. (biggest that would fit in my sump) the unit is nice. The only modification I had to make was I turned the return pump line and extended it with vinyl hose so that is was both pulling water AND returning it to the same sump chamber (skimmer chamber) I stocked it with chaeto, and some eco pods from Algae Barn, as well as some bio media.

My nitrates/phosphates after week 1 of vodka dosing are at
NO-approx 60ppm
PO-approx .25ppm
Will up the dose in week 2 and continue to monitor every week before upping the dose.

Much nicer than the breeder box I suggested!

OP
OP
phildoingthings

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you know I took your suggestion and went.....overboard? Or just right....Depends how you look at it :squinting-face-with-tongue::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I'm happy with it and thank you for the suggestion

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree totally. I think I will try to add a Fuge. to my current sump set up. Like you said it cant be a bad thing. Im going to start vodka dosing just to drop the numbers a bit.
I would try NO3PO4-X (Red Sea's vodka dosing) first according their instructions. The other options (fuge/algae scrubber) are good but don't think really needed in your case.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back