HOB Overflow

wavestrike

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2024
Messages
9
Reaction score
3
Location
Myrtle Beach
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to convert an 120 gallon fresh water tank to a saltwater tank. I was looking for a HOB overflow as I want to avoid drilling into the tank. It is also a rimmed tank. Any recommendations?
 
My suggestion would be to look into drilling the tank, it’s not hard to do at all, and many here who have done it will help you with that if you’d like.

Having never used one, I have heard that the Eshopps HOB overflows are said to be pretty reliable.

Keep in mind, 120 gallons is a lot of water if a HOB overflow does fail. Just sayin’ :)

Good luck!
 
I know you didn't ask about the negatives but you'll find them while researching so here's my take. I ran two eshopps hob overflows on a 180g with a 125g basement sump for almost 8 years and never once lost syphon. Don't believe all the negative comments you'll find about loosing syphon and flooding. Most people saying that have never ran hobs. I could shut my return off and restart it any time I wanted. The only way I could induce a flood is if I cranked my return pump up so it was pushing more than the overflows could handle. I've heard nothing but good things about life reef overflows @ScottJ linked but i wasn't aware of them when I set my tank up. I much prefer a drilled tank but like you I was converting a FW tank and didn't want to try drilling it.
This was my hob tank
PXL_20240222_233233684.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new