HOB Skimmer Options

Maobea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for an HOB Protein Skimmer (I dont have a sum) for my 70 gal reef tank and I'm looking for some suggestions. I've been looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/AquaMaxx-HOB...aquamaxx+hob-1.5+hang-on-back+protein+skimmer

https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Octopus...8-3&keywords=reef+octopus+hob+protein+skimmer

https://www.amazon.com/CoralVue-Tec...8-4&keywords=reef+octopus+hob+protein+skimmer

https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Octopus...8-5&keywords=reef+octopus+hob+protein+skimmer

Has anybody have any experience with any of these or any others? I have a budget of around $250.00

Also, I currently have a regular filter with mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration. Could I replace that with a HOB skimmer or should I use both?

Thank you all!

Mauricio

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a RO BH90 I bought off a fellow reefer here, and it is a beast. Pulled out coffee in 30 minutes of being setup (very nutrient rich tank). Apparently the cone design is more efficient, but the agitation is immense. The outflow isn’t terribly strong either.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a Reef Octopus BH-2000 that I've been using on a 90 gallon reef tank for around 3 years. I don't have experience with other hob skimmer but I like this one.

OP
OP
Maobea

Maobea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I was leaning towards the AquaMaxx, but it seems that everyone is getting the Octo. Haven’t seen many reviews of the AquaMaxx. I just like the fact that is has the Sicce pump.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I was leaning towards the AquaMaxx, but it seems that everyone is getting the Octo. Haven’t seen many reviews of the AquaMaxx. I just like the fact that is has the Sicce pump.
It will probably work well, I just don't have personal experience. RO is just a more established brand and there are a lot of them floating around.

I have seen plenty of people who like their Aquamaxx skimmers though, generally on smaller tanks.

I would look for one second hand. I got mine from my local reef club.

OP
OP
Maobea

Maobea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably work well, I just don't have personal experience. RO is just a more established brand and there are a lot of them floating around.

I have seen plenty of people who like their Aquamaxx skimmers though, generally on smaller tanks.

I would look for one second hand. I got mine from my local reef club.

I have been looking on eBay, but I’m always a bit finicky about eBay, though I’ve seen some good prices. I’m just not sure about it

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking on eBay, but I’m always a bit finicky about eBay, though I’ve seen some good prices. I’m just not sure about it
Have you check out your local reef club? Mine has a Facebook group we use. Just make a post asking if anyone has hob skimmers. That's how I got mine for free.

OP
OP
Maobea

Maobea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill have to check if there’s a reef club. I live in a little town in Missouri, but maybe there’s one in Kansas City. That’d be the closest city

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill have to check if there’s a reef club. I live in a little town in Missouri, but maybe there’s one in Kansas City. That’d be the closest city
Patience is key with the groups. Check regularly for people tearing down their tanks and stuff.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqua Maxx hob. I like it a lot. But I have it on a 32 gallon Biocube so cant say about it on the 70. As mentioned have heard great comments on the Reef Octopus HOBs

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding my opinion and some info....

First, +1 on the Reef Octopus BH-2000. I'm running that one right now and I ran its previous version for 9 years! I've said it before on this site but the older version would have lasted longer if I had broken it down and cleaned it more often than every 3 years! The new one is quieter, more energy efficient, and is a fantastic HOB skimmer.

Also, though I was biased toward the new BH-2000 before I bought, I did take a hard look at the Aquamaxx. One thing I'll point out is that if you have a canopy on your tank like I do, be sure to measure and make sure that the aquamaxx will fit. If you look at both designs, the RO intake and return are piped into the body at the exact same level, but with the aquamaxx, the plumbing is at two different heights. I called marine depot and they actually measured the difference in distance for me and the aquamaxx was not going to work for me. That made my final decision easy.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Maobea

Maobea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for the input! Sounds like both brands are pretty solid. Just have to check prices and see which will fit. I don’t have a canopy, but I do have a mesh cover on the tank, so I’ll have to see if the intake and return pipe will fit where I currently have my filter.
On that note, does anybody know if I’d still have a need for a filter or will the skimmer take on the job of a filter?

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good question and one where you will get a variety of opinions I’m sure. Skimming is a form of mechanical filtration and for me, I consider it my main method of nutrient export (outside of water changes). Depending on your system, you’ll have to decide if you need/want additional mechanical, biological, and/or chemical filtration.

For me, I’m one of the few who run a canister filter instead of a sump. I use Seachem Matrix for additional biological filtration, and I run Chemipure Blue for my chemical filtration... but that’s about it.

Again, gonna depend on a lot of things and I would imagine you’ll get a lot of opinions on this.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for the input! Sounds like both brands are pretty solid. Just have to check prices and see which will fit. I don’t have a canopy, but I do have a mesh cover on the tank, so I’ll have to see if the intake and return pipe will fit where I currently have my filter.
On that note, does anybody know if I’d still have a need for a filter or will the skimmer take on the job of a filter?

Plenty of people are running tanks without mechanical filtration these days (I don't personally consider a skimmer mechanical filtration), meaning you might not need to run a filter. That being said even if you are not running a sponge in your hob filter, you can put carbon or other chemical filtration in it if you need to run some.

OP
OP
Maobea

Maobea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m debating on wether or not to keep my hob filter. I currently have it set up with mechanical, chemical and biological pads. If it’ll help keep my water that much cleaner, then I could cut a hole on the other side of the cover, but if it isn’t necessary or even damaging (as I know filters can sometimes be nitrate factories) then i could just remove it and place the skimmer in its place.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Octopus 1000 for my 55. It has been going for 6 yrs now and is a work horse for my tank! I've never had any problems from it, and it is super easy to adjust! I love it! For your 70, I would recommend the 2000

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m debating on wether or not to keep my hob filter. I currently have it set up with mechanical, chemical and biological pads. If it’ll help keep my water that much cleaner, then I could cut a hole on the other side of the cover, but if it isn’t necessary or even damaging (as I know filters can sometimes be nitrate factories) then i could just remove it and place the skimmer in its place.
I have used a HOB filter for my 55 reef mixed tank with sps for 6 yrs along with my HOB skimmer. As long as you keep up with weekly water changes, it works just fine. I would say my bio load on my tank is heavy....

Neil57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Aquamax HOB on my 55 gallon for the past year and it has been great. I like that i can adjust the skim rate to be wet or a little dryer. My nitrates have been between 4 and 6 ppm even feeding fairly heavy. I think it's a good choice.

OP
OP
Maobea

Maobea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Aquamax HOB on my 55 gallon for the past year and it has been great. I like that i can adjust the skim rate to be wet or a little dryer. My nitrates have been between 4 and 6 ppm even feeding fairly heavy. I think it's a good choice.

How often do you feed? I’ve been feeding every other day, but I feel that’s too little. At the same time, I don’t want to have my nitrates shoot up

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back