Holiday help

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am new to the reef aquarium my 20g tank has been running for 2 months now and I added my first corals 3 weeks ago. I am international student and have to fly back home for x-mas break around 18 days. I had organized to transfer the tank to a friend staying here but it didnt work out and I cant have someone come over to my dorm because they are closed (power will still be on). I contacted fish stores and none will take my fish and corals. So the only choice is leaving them and praying pretty much
My tank is pretty simple it has
2 tiny clown fish
1 bangaii cardinal
1 diamond goby
it also has pulsating xenia, GSP and a hammer coral.
Food shouldnt be a problem but am worried about the water quality dropping as i usually do weekly 25% changes and also am worried about salinity drop from evaporation.
Any tips on how I can prepare the tank before I leave?

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to automate the top off (ato) and an auto feeder. If money is an issue, BRS has a good video on how to make an ATO pretty cheap. You can use a trash can to hold the top off water.

By the way, Its All About the U- Go Canes

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to automate the top off (ato) and an auto feeder. If money is an issue, BRS has a good video on how to make an ATO pretty cheap. You can use a trash can to hold the top off water.

By the way, Its All About the U- Go Canes
Ayyy, do you think they will be fine without the ATO? The evaporation rate in my tank is not too bad i have to refill a tiny amount every 4-5 days

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, no. For the amount off time you will be away, the evaporation will cause the salinity to rise too much

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a simple gravity fed ATO with a small fishtank, rubber hose and a float switch. Rig the ato water tank above the main tank and a hose to a float switch clamped to the top of your display, or sump if you have that

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a simple gravity fed ATO with a small fishtank, rubber hose and a float switch. Rig the ato water tank above the main tkun a hose to a float switch clamped to the dop of your display, or sump if you have that
Do you think I could cheese it out with a bunch of these?

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your lights on a timer? I've just got back from being away for just 3 days (no light timer) and my goniopora coral which was thriving, has packed it in
18 days with no light could definitely cause problems with your coral

OP
OP
Ramiro Casal

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your lights on a timer? I've just got back from being away for just 3 days (no light timer) and my goniopora coral which was thriving, has packed it in
18 days with no light could definitely cause problems with your coral
ya everything is automated except the top off

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back