68b0ed665cb2fe7199530da6b6fe0207.jpg
reef creation

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are cool pics. Thanx. From your own personal opinion, how does the HW compared to your other corals? Would you say it is the brightest and coolest one you have?

68b0ed665cb2fe7199530da6b6fe0207.jpg
reef creation

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JF has some frags with premium price tags but they do look nice. At least his price isn't absurd like what cornbread charges.

I've been buying from Cornbred these past couple months almost exclusively. Yes, prices on his domain are priced high. I only purchase his pieces from eBay, from is eBay store. For example, just bought a frag of his Orange Passion, creamsicle milli, Flaming Phoenix monti, and Sunkist mushroom. From his site those serious high dollar pieces. Here's the money I spent with free shipping.
Point being, there are FAR better ways to buy coral. Suckers pay retail [emoji6]
58e694656b0378287a7d21898bc5b420.png

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread... it's a LOT like models being airbrushed to hide imperfections. Some will say they should use honest photos, but truth is that beauty sells. Rational or not, this is the way of things. I'd go so far as to say 99% of those buying high dollar coral know their frag won't look like pics. Knowing this fact makes buying easy. I get to know a vendor, learn what the actual coral looks like vs how the photo looks. Subtract the two and you'll know what you're getting.

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are cool pics. Thanx. From your own personal opinion, how does the HW compared to your other corals? Would you say it is the brightest and coolest one you have?
i think it's nice, $1000 nice? No. But people paid high price early to get a frag to grow out so when they have a colony...they can sell it at $400 a frag and get their money back easy.

It is a special tenuis, not a common color up wild colony, the polyps are always extended and usually much bigger than the usually tenuis colony out there. It does stay out over my other acro...and I have a lot of nice frags.

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been buying from Cornbred these past couple months almost exclusively. Yes, prices on his domain are priced high. I only purchase his pieces from eBay, from is eBay store. For example, just bought a frag of his Orange Passion, creamsicle milli, Flaming Phoenix monti, and Sunkist mushroom. From his site those serious high dollar pieces. Here's the money I spent with free shipping.
Point being, there are FAR better ways to buy coral. Suckers pay retail [emoji6]
I used to buy a lot from CB, my first big coral purchase was from him, you can get lucky on eBay, but his frag is usually small and need to be careful since he rename coral a lot. But from what I get from him, his frag is alway healthy and I never have pest from him. Now I only shop at Wwc and TSA....rarely do I buy from other because I did get burn one or twice.

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents:

I've seen the HW in person at WWC and it immediately drew my eye. They have a few copies in their show tanks, and I can honestly say it is 1 of 2 corals that sticks out easily above all the others under pure blue lights--the other being the Walt Disney.

I, like many of you, am always skeptical about not seeing frags under regular lighting as I enjoy spending most of my time looking at my corals under "white" light. AND, I have been burned in the past buying items that looked great under blue lights only to have them look like $%&* under regular lighting.

One of the back tanks at WWC still had the white lights on and the HW stuck out even then among all of the corals. It is honestly one of those rare corals that just looks ridiculous under blue light and amazing under white. The WD, in my opinion, did not stand up to the test once lit under regular light. To me, it is just a nice coral once the blues are off.

The easiest way to determine any hype is just to look at Supply and Demand over time. The market will always set the price. The fact that HW is still going for $800+ and people are paying it (and continuing to pay it) should tell you that it is legit. The WD has come down seriously in price since its first introduction and I feel it is because as enough copies have gotten out there people are seeing the hype was more than the coral. I believe we will start to see WD frags drop into the sub $200's before end of the year while HW will still stay at the higher prices.

I, myself, for the first time in my collecting days, am now willing to spend $500 on a coral for the HW as it is simply amazing under all lights. I just need to wait until it comes down a little in price as supply gets out there. Oh, and wait until I get a tank setup too!

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37e6df4e616615ead74b968df94580f2.jpg
32fe8d435f78eed06c339c497be9c393.jpg

I am hoping this one will color up more. Blue it looks great, but I like it even more with white. This is a wild one that I been working on for 4 months.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37e6df4e616615ead74b968df94580f2.jpg
32fe8d435f78eed06c339c497be9c393.jpg

I am hoping this one will color up more. Blue it looks great, but I like it even more with white. This is a wild one that I been working on for 4 months.

That is a really nice coral.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One point I have to make here is that a coral grown under mostly blue light and then pictured under white light is going to look very different than a coral grown under a daylight spectrum. Even with LEDs but very much so with 10k halides and t5s with a lot of daylight bulbs.
I was hoping for some pictures of the hw grown under 10 or 12k halides or t5s with a few white bulbs mixed in. I bet the colors would be totally different and I really would like to see what it looks like. Probably would look better. Maybe more pink and a better blue tip.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to pay shipping on each piece. The price of the coral itself was pretty but add in shipping for each piece and...

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. How did he get free shipping? I'd to know. I would buy some of the ebay corals but paying for shipping on each one just doesn't make sense.

If your purchases total $250 shipping is free. It's automatically calculated when you pay.

After each available frag, you get this message:
eefd33d55d2871593c9ac7a53ed1d801.png

Last edited:

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to buy a lot from CB, my first big coral purchase was from him, you can get lucky on eBay, but his frag is usually small and need to be careful since he rename coral a lot. But from what I get from him, his frag is alway healthy and I never have pest from him. Now I only shop at Wwc and TSA....rarely do I buy from other because I did get burn one or twice.

Understood. He's VERY forthcoming if you just ask. Example, on the Orange Passion acro, I know there were two variants when it first became available. I asked him where his fell into things. He said that he got one piece from each, can't remember those names at the moment, RR and another.... anyways, they grew those out and after awhile couldn't even tell which was which so they just generically call it CB orange passion, but there's no deception. They respond to all emails and are quick. I've had no problems myself, but to each their own [emoji4]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back