Hottest sps corals in the hobby

Ghostbuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a nice one. Any pics under full spectrum? Thats a nice one. Any pics under full spectrum?
D8E0791E-0B16-4F4F-B863-C260E69055AD.jpeg
Here’s a pic of my Circus Freak from over a year ago. The corallites are pink and can get pinker as it matures

Aquatic Bobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s some insanely nice color development compared to your pic from September. Is it the same camera/settings between the two pics?
Great question. Around that time my tank had hit about one and a half years of maturity and everything started to really show some wild improvements. I also started dosing reef nutrition a few weeks prior and would like to attribute that in part as well. The biggest change was I started running GFO though. Within 30 days it looked like a totally different coral. It barely dropped my phosphates but I think it was just enough

Aquatic Bobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was still growing really well and looking really good But this was the turning point

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Around that time my tank had hit about one and a half years of maturity and everything started to really show some wild improvements. I also started dosing reef nutrition a few weeks prior and would like to attribute that in part as well. The biggest change was I started running GFO though. Within 30 days it looked like a totally different coral. It barely dropped my phosphates but I think it was just enough
@Aquatic Bobs
What’s your phosphate and nitrate now? What was it before the GFO?

Aquatic Bobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I had tried experimenting with higher nutrients and alk. Nitrates were 25, phos 0.1 or so and even alk was 10.0

Now my alk is 9.0, nitrates 10, and phosphates 0.05 to 0.06

Aquatic Bobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stuff, I used to live in Duluth, MN. Hope to move back... we had like almost nothing available for local coral when I lived there.. so kind of cool someone has something there now lol
Haha yeah there's very few people here who are in the hobby but we've definitely been able to spread some love :)

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's actually really hard to get going. I tried 2 that both perished on me, get dull in color then pass along. This one was a larger piece that was bought, colored and grown almost immediately
You think vivid insanity is hard to get going ? I just grabbed one wondering how difficult it is.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with mine. It came in dark/browned out and hasn't done much in the last month. Any tips? It's in pretty high light and high flow. I do have a problem with my nitrates tho. They love to bottom out.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with mine. It came in dark/browned out and hasn't done much in the last month. Any tips? It's in pretty high light and high flow. I do have a problem with my nitrates tho. They love to bottom out.
What coral are you struggling with? Do you still have 0 nutrient readings?

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What coral are you struggling with? Do you still have 0 nutrient readings?
It's the vivids insanity.

I have another one that has lighter tissue than when I bought it. It sort of looks like a PC rainbow, but not sure until it grows out. All my others look good:
Bleeding Avenger, ASD Rainbow (tho not much orange yet), CB OMG is coloring up, fox flame has insane contrast, (got a few others that look good). It just seems like the Vivid is unhappy. My chalices are also a little light, but I'm sure that's the nitrates.

I dosed my nitrates back up yesterday to try to get them to 3, but I can't ever keep the readable or inline with my phosphates.

I do dose 50ml of acropower weekly (would do more, but I only have frags in my 240 right now).

Alk 8.5-8.75
Cal 470
Mg 1390
Ph 8.0-8.1 daily swings
Phosphate always <.09 (.07 now)
Nitrate 0 (should be around 3)

I do run a refugium on reverse light cycle for 8 hours with a strong light. I might cut it down to 6 to try to get some nitrates once I bring my phosphates down a little more.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the vivids insanity.

I have another one that has lighter tissue than when I bought it. It sort of looks like a PC rainbow, but not sure until it grows out. All my others look good:
Bleeding Avenger, ASD Rainbow (tho not much orange yet), CB OMG is coloring up, fox flame has insane contrast, (got a few others that look good). It just seems like the Vivid is unhappy. My chalices are also a little light, but I'm sure that's the nitrates.

I dosed my nitrates back up yesterday to try to get them to 3, but I can't ever keep the readable or inline with my phosphates.

I do dose 50ml of acropower weekly (would do more, but I only have frags in my 240 right now).

Alk 8.5-8.75
Cal 470
Mg 1390
Ph 8.0-8.1 daily swings
Phosphate always <.09 (.07 now)
Nitrate 0 (should be around 3)

I do run a refugium on reverse light cycle for 8 hours with a strong light. I might cut it down to 6 to try to get some nitrates once I bring my phosphates down a little more.
Why do you want to bring your po4 down?
I hate acropower btw. I had some pale/burnt tissue responses from it.
7D77DA7D-85C7-410E-85D5-C915F6B5A83C.jpeg
509B3117-2AD6-4A27-BD3B-900835B845C9.jpeg
856973CE-EF76-4FA9-87DF-DB2E743CF15B.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back