Houdini Shrimp...?

joey123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 that seems to have a few missing characters all of a sudden. I hadn't been able to see my fire shrimp for the past few days--I wasn't too concerned, as he's usually pretty shy. Today though, I noticed that I couldn't find EITHER of my skunk cleaner shrimp at feeding time, and they are usually front and center. Tank has an incredibly tight lid, no way they are in the sump or anything(I have checked). I have a seneye that monitors ammonia 24/7, and the ammonia has been flatlined at 0.001ppm since before the fire shrimp went MIA. Is there a chance that they died and I missed it somehow? Only other thing I can think is they were all eaten. Here is my stock list(no predatory corals/anemones/etc):

Inverts:
Peppermint Shrimp
3​
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2​
Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1​
Emerald Crabs
1​
Trochus
10​
Sand Conchs
2​
Mexican Turbos
4​
Tiny Hermit Crabs
20​
Margarita snails
10​

Fish:
4 small lyretail anthias, 3 less than 3", one maybe 3.5"
1 small flasher wrasse, about 2"
1 small leopard wrasse, about 1.75"
1 Diamond Goby, bout 2.5"
1 Naso tang, approximately 5.5"

All seem to be eating well and I have seen no molts, antennae, etc. It is a big tank, but not crazy with the rockwork, and I can usually find both easily, now can't find either(or the fire shrimp).

Water Parameters--only thing I could think would be Alk. I was dosing periodically trying to dial it in, and it was going between 7.4 and 8.4 until I set up the doser on Feb 3rd. Tested on the 4th and it was 8.3. Tested yesterday (Feb 6th) and it was 10.4. I backed off the dose and it dropped to 9.5 for today's test, about 24 hours later. My pH is a bit low, so i also set up a kalk stirrer on my ATO yesterday--doubt it is related, but it's there. And remember, my peppermint shrimp are still doing great, as are all the corals and fish, hermit crabs, snails, etc., so I doubt it would be water parameters.

WHEW! Huge info dump there, sorry, but tried to get it all covered. Thank you all so much for your help! (#reefsquad come help me!)

OP
OP
J

joey123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the tank FWIW...as you can see, not a million places for the three mysteries to be hiding...

IMG-20200202-WA0000.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have died...could be holed up.molting...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back