How can I kill star polyps

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband wanted some in my tank, here is how I'm going to isolate them. I used the magnets from a dead Hydor power head and epoxied a coral branch that I had onto it. I'm going to mount it onto the back glass of my tank!
Magnetic%20Coral%20for%20GSP%201.jpg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent read this thread for a while and I am flat amazed at the harsh advice given of eradication.
Bleach?
Poor rocks :(

Wolff92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take an exacto knife during water changes and scrape the top part of the rock off this helps somewhat. Gsp was the worst mistake I ever made in the hobby. You can also superglue over them. I take a rubber glove put some super glue on the finger and smear it over the corals. Best of luck. These tatics help me keep gsp in check but it is no cure.

BrianGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are intentionally killing them while I am over here trying to get them to spread. If anyone ever needs to get rid of them and feel bad about it, just send them to me :)

NanoDrummer09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of it mounted to the back? I have an idea with starting a little colony on the side of my tank that's exposed to a window. Thinking it'll help block excess sunlight

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can throw it in my tank[emoji12]. I can't seem to grow anything

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia-X by red sea will kill it. If you want to segregate anything that encrusts place it on its own rock or the back glass like you are going to. Or what I like to do if it is on my rock work is keep a supply of small rocks beside and around for the coral to creep onto and just keep making frags. Or take the small rocks out and scrape the coral off the rock and put the rocks back in.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old thread but best way to keep greenstar is to keep it away from rocks and isolated (like back glass high up, over overflow, or on island. You'll need to blade trim it when it starts creeping no matter what. Throw it out or give it away.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an aptasia eating file fish that loved them, Xenia, clove polyps, and zoa's. I used to get Xenia from an lfs so it would leave zoa's alone

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked them at one time now they are everywhere taking over everything like weeds. How can I kill them without killing the other things in the tank.
I've seen several tanks where the centerpiece/show coral is an out of control GSP. I'm guessing an agressive coral. Basically coral on coral warfare to start killing off some of the GSP. I recently added some to my rock. But there a few Hammers on there. So we'll see. They're getting close...

Chem1586

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP killed a few heads of my frogspawn over time just through contact brushing of the polyps. They were on separate rocks but when fully extended they brushed up against the frogspawn. I’m currently trying to eradicate mine after is started killing everything around it from zoas, LPS and SPS!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like Green Star Polyps. It’s the best biofilter I have had in 50 years of Reefing. When it gets to be more than I want, it’s easily peeled off the glass.

A toothbrush with hydrogen peroxide will spot treat, as opposed to treating the whole system.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back