How do torch corals grow? How fast?

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have a 40gal mixed reef tank that's been up and running for almost 2 years now. I got a torch coral (only one head) around a year ago, and I just don't feel like I see much growth. I know that different coral grow differently (I have a birds nest coral that LOVES my tank), so I was just wondering if I need to be doing anything differently to get it to grow, or what it looks like when it starts to form a new head.

Parameters:
pH: 8.2
KH: 9
Ca: 460
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: close to 0
Phosphate: close to 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t know how to describe how a torch coral looks when it grows. It’s. Kinda like a planarian when you slice the head in the middle. The two halves get bigger and grow longer and fill in the cut area until the one head is two . Can you see that from my description? Me neither.

Another thing is that sps coral are said to like low nutrients like you mentioned(low nitrates low phosphate). I was talking with a guy who grows torches and he said a phosphorus number that was so high that people might think I was a liar if I repeated it, so I won’t. I will say that torch corals can be found in very murky waters with a lot more nutrients than sps corals like. My LPS always grow faster if I feed my fish heavily. Especially if I broadcast feed so the lps can gather drifting food from the water column. Feeding them will cause them to grow fast enough so that you won’t wonder if they are growing but they will make you want to trim them back before they out grow the tank.

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clue what par level it is in? My frogspawn grew extremely slowly until I moved it to a less intensely lit area and then it exploded with growth
Just pulled out a tape measure; it's actually around 17in from the light. I use RedSea's lights, and according to their website that's around 300 PAR or so. Maybe too low?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches like a bit of nitrate and phosphate, and occasional feedings.
Also depends on Aussie or indo. Got my indo as 1 head in July or so, now is 4-5. Hosting a clown may have to do with it too.

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches like a bit of nitrate and phosphate, and occasional feedings.
Also depends on Aussie or indo. Got mine as 1 head in July or so, now is 4-5. Hosting a clown may have to do with it too.
Wow I didn't know clowns could host in them! I have a pair of clowns and they never go near it!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I didn't know clowns could host in them! I have a pair of clowns and they never go near it!
I don’t recommend it…torches stress easily. But there is no stopping clowns.
Mine first hosted an Aussie torch, but between stress from a rescape and hosting it got bjd. Then the female killed the male and started hosting my indo. The indo actually is doing really well with it, I think solo hosting is much less violent than pair hosting.
Torches aren’t as popular as frogs or hammer, but it certainly happens.
I’ll try to get a picture…it’s hard cause she moves so dang fast!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s something, she isn’t actually in the torch for the pic, but best I can get:
AD6627AC-9A6C-4D98-849F-822A3C4BF32C.jpeg

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the torch. I have one that is in the process of splitting into 10 heads that I got back in May. I have another I got in June that is finally making its first split. I believe indo typically grows faster than Aussie.

Here’s a photo of the fast grower all sucked in. Each time it splits, the mouth splits first and then it develops a bubble where it will eventually grow a new skeleton. Once it begins to split, it takes a while for the process to complete. Eventually each mouth becomes its own head.

1888FB62-485D-40FD-ADCF-FCF3918BA9AD.jpeg 9E5BC7AE-55FA-4217-AA4D-BAC1A6DC2700.jpeg

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the torch. I have one that is in the process of splitting into 10 heads that I got back in May. I have another I got in June that is finally making its first split. I believe indo typically grows faster than Aussie.

Here’s a photo of the fast grower all sucked in. Each time it splits, the mouth splits first and then it develops a bubble where it will eventually grow a new skeleton. Once it begins to split, it takes a while for the process to complete. Eventually each mouth becomes its own head.

1888FB62-485D-40FD-ADCF-FCF3918BA9AD.jpeg 9E5BC7AE-55FA-4217-AA4D-BAC1A6DC2700.jpeg
Wow how beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

Frag Farm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have a 40gal mixed reef tank that's been up and running for almost 2 years now. I got a torch coral (only one head) around a year ago, and I just don't feel like I see much growth. I know that different coral grow differently (I have a birds nest coral that LOVES my tank), so I was just wondering if I need to be doing anything differently to get it to grow, or what it looks like when it starts to form a new head.

Parameters:
Torch Corals are slow growers. Once settled in, you can get 1-2 heads every 3-6 months. We recommend using Reef Roids to ensure maximum color and growth. Check out our website for torch corals and more at fragfarmcoral.com.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been worried that my torch is growing flesh faster than the developing skeleton .. not too sure if it’s happening or how to correct but my clown also likes to troll me by using it as a bed lol

Attachments

• DCD0C7AF-0DAD-47E6-8E97-EDB1E27E6448.jpeg
    DCD0C7AF-0DAD-47E6-8E97-EDB1E27E6448.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 365

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been worried that my torch is growing flesh faster than the developing skeleton .. not too sure if it’s happening or how to correct but my clown also likes to troll me by using it as a bed lol
Nothing wrong with a lot of flesh! It’s just happy, which is good considering there is a clownfish trying to kill it lol

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Parameters:
I can tell when a new head is coming in when it grows more oval. The head normally is round. Then you see two mouths. Won't be long until it splits.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t know how to describe how a torch coral looks when it grows. It’s. Kinda like a planarian when you slice the head in the middle. The two halves get bigger and grow longer and fill in the cut area until the one head is two . Can you see that from my description? Me neither.

Another thing is that sps coral are said to like low nutrients like you mentioned(low nitrates low phosphate). I was talking with a guy who grows torches and he said a phosphorus number that was so high that people might think I was a liar if I repeated it, so I won’t. I will say that torch corals can be found in very murky waters with a lot more nutrients than sps corals like. My LPS always grow faster if I feed my fish heavily. Especially if I broadcast feed so the lps can gather drifting food from the water column. Feeding them will cause them to grow fast enough so that you won’t wonder if they are growing but they will make you want to trim them back before they out grow the tank.
G’day what’s this phosphorus number you speak of? Since my Dino outbreak and major coral loss I have been very conscious of phosphate and testing 2-3 times p/w my corals look very happy and plump and algae on the glass has decreased and coralline has exploded. I have 2 tangs in a 70g my nitrate is 1-2 and I keep my phosphorus at a minimum of 65ppb- 0.2. I do not carbon dose or have a fuge.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's taking one of our info gold's about 9mo to go from a brand new single head into 4 at present.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day what’s this phosphorus number you speak of? Since my Dino outbreak and major coral loss I have been very conscious of phosphate and testing 2-3 times p/w my corals look very happy and plump and algae on the glass has decreased and coralline has exploded. I have 2 tangs in a 70g my nitrate is 1-2 and I keep my phosphorus at a minimum of 65ppb- 0.2. I do not carbon dose or have a fuge.
Yup, steady as she goes with measurable nutrition for growning reef critters.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want your nitrates in the 10ppm range, and phosphates are usually good between .05-.10ppm

As has been said, nutrients and lighting (75-150 PAR for most LPS) play a large role in how fast they grow and split. Get the combo right, then just sit back and enjoy the show. :D

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back