How do y'all afford the hobby?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you paying 50 dollars for a fancy water pump?
Japan Nani GIF by Talisterparis
I’ve got jebao wavemakers on my two main tanks. A couple of the gyres on my 150 and SLW-30’s on my anemone tank.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 dollars for a very large one makes sense, as in a 150.
Actually, those were closer to $150, but compared to the ‘high end’ equivalent, still like 1/3 of the cost. Otherwise I would need a bunch of smaller ones, so this worked best for my setup. I use some of the super cheap ones like $10-20 on quarantine tanks, but like the better performance and reliability of these on my main tanks.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, those were closer to $150, but compared to the ‘high end’ equivalent, still like 1/3 of the cost. Otherwise I would need a bunch of smaller ones, so this worked best for my setup. I use some of the super cheap ones like $10-20 on quarantine tanks, but like the better performance and reliability of these on my main tanks.
$150 FOR A SEXY WATER PUMP?!?!??!!? I just used a 13 dollar one for my 10 gallon, which has been working for the past few months

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my hobbies are pretty expensive: $3000 rifle scopes, pre runners, photography, etc. I had a 125 gallon saltwater in college as my first tank. I had barely any money. Now I'm just cheap. I bought both my reefer 350 and 170 used. on the 350 I got tank, 2 reefled 90s, 2 MP40s, skimmer,Bubble Magus doser, Ecotech return pump for $1500 and then bought a full apex with trident for $700. I got my Reefer 170 with return pump for $250. I bought a used MP10 and used Reefled50. Most corals are from reefers not stores.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$150 FOR A SEXY WATER PUMP?!?!??!!? I just used a 13 dollar one for my 10 gallon, which has been working for the past few months
Those work ok on small tanks. You’d need 10+ of them on a big tank, so that doesn’t make sense. It would look like crap not to mention be a pain just to plug them all in. Those also tend to be the suction cup type which will inevitably fall off the glass and potentially kill your anemones or coral.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those work ok on small tanks. You’d need 10+ of them on a big tank, so that doesn’t make sense. It would look like crap not to mention be a pain just to plug them all in. Those also tend to be the suction cup type which will inevitably fall off the glass and potentially kill your anemones or coral.
I did see some 28 dollar ones that were magnetic, and were like 1000 gph. There was a 35 dollar one that was 1500 gph (but not controllable), so there are some for larger tanks, (maybe not as large as yours tho)

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I buy is used or off brand lol. Not to mention selling coral / algae / anemones ect.. monthly cost on tank is about 40$ - RODI, fish food, and dosing chemicals

Attachments

• 9FC6C456-A29F-4036-9E49-33D27114BC3E.jpeg
    9FC6C456-A29F-4036-9E49-33D27114BC3E.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 35

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, have just set up my first 180L (Just under a 50-gallon tank) with the hope of upgrading in the next year or two to 125 gallons (Keeping fingers crossed.). I would love to upgrade sooner, but how does everyone afford it?! I have seen ads from people selling off equipment/tanks etc because they have upgraded in the space of a couple of months. I am not stupid with my money, but even if I recycled everything I currently had I could not afford a 125 for at least a year. Sorry for the rant, I am just feeling very disheartened and need help keeping this dream alive.

Some people have high paying jobs and no student loans.

That isn't me :p

I find used equiptment at killer deals. Every once and awhile someone prices something "to move" at some crazy low price. You have to check classifieds often though whether that is here or local.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like any other hobby. You can do varing levels of systems to keep costs down.
I ran a 20g nano with sump for a couple years. Cost is not extreme.
I planned and purchased everything over the period of one year for my old 120, it ran 33 months in my build.
This allowed me to get everything I needed before water hit the system. I got a few things a month and startup was no mystery.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By not blowing all my money on party and booze, and by not obsessing over cutting edge equipment and fancy corals.

Equipment wise this is one is rather inexpensive. A budget Tunze 6020 pump and a Maxspect Jump Led 65W, no skimmer, no control system, no ATO, no dosing pumps. Just weekly water changes and dosing of the big 3 (Ca, Alk, Mag), bought in bulk to cut down costs even more.

Reef61L-2022-06-14.jpg

Coral wise, the fanciest and most expensive coral you will find here are my bubble gum and forest fire montiporas, the rest are your run of the mill generic varieties, and a couple are even true hitchhikers.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
….just make more money and then you can spend it all lol
Or charge high end corals on ur onlyfans, either way lol

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new job that paid more and I qt everything wet which makes me wait 8 weeks in between purchases. Also I decided I do not want to have kids. Plus I convinced my girlfriend I can one day sell the coral. If you go slowly and spend money here and there it can be affordable. You don't need all the highest cost items to be successful just a good strategy. " Me saying this after dropping $330 on a coral sale at Aquasd yesterday... To many good deals"

It's kind of like golf you can have the most expensive items and trainers or you can have a decent set of clubs and hit the driving range and play during off hours.

mrtallbear86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know where you are from, but there is a 180 gallon for sale in south Florida for 500. Just have to do your due diligence and check classified. Sometimes you find a bomb deal!

me personally, I started donating plasma to fund my addiction, easy extra money that doesn’t take a bunch of time, plus I’m saving lives lol

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy everything used,when I can. Save,shop within budget and don't be tempted. Don't buy non-needed equipment,I also donate plasma 2 times a week (although I mainly use that for gas and credit card payments or car related purchases.)

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know where you are from, but there is a 180 gallon for sale in south Florida for 500. Just have to do your due diligence and check classified. Sometimes you find a bomb deal!

me personally, I started donating plasma to fund my addiction, easy extra money that doesn’t take a bunch of time, plus I’m saving lives lol

Idk how you donate with but that BioMat first time donor bonus is BANGIN' at $1100 the first month lol. Although I heard CSL doesn't pay as well,but run better bonuses.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back