how do you manage your phosphates?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female emerald crabs and if you have a large enough tank, one spot foxface are usually pretty good with valonia. I had a one spot in my 90g, but he got too big (which I knew would happen) and re-homed him to a much larger tank, but he was one of the best algae grazers I've ever kept and always kept the tank clear of valonia.
It’s a 90. Just spent about 40 mins pulling bubble algae. I have lots of zoas so worry about emerald crabs.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. I’m down to 0.25 from around 0.5 with two 15% water changes and a bag of phosguard sitting next to the drain. I’m testing every other day or so with a Hanna low level checker.

Not sure what the balance point is as in when to remove the bag or whether to add another bag with smaller amount.

Goal now is 0.15 or so. Gives me a buffer before it gets over 0.2 and no chance of going to zero. Mostly zoa and lps.

Minhaj Qazi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have always had a problem with high phos. around 1-2 . i have also used many different foods based on their phos levels I now feed Mysis and fresh mostly and have been for a while. but my phos has still remained between 1-3 ppm.

I also practice reduced feeding habits. That's hard . they all look hungry.lol

I have used phos rx rapid phos, the pads, nopox, gfo, chem clean and so on. they do the job but a few months later im right back to 1-3. it's odd because I really put an effort into reducing them and trying to keep them low. my tank is happy and fine but i do believe that it affects coral growth.

i have also read here that people dose items for several months to a year in an effort to remove phos that leaches from our rocks.

so my question is how do you maintain your phos levels? do you auto dose something? what do you use and how often? does anyone auto dose anything? I'm kinda getting feed up with this roller coaster of .5 then back to 1-3 ppm for example.

i want to auto dose something like seaklear. i have read a lot of success stories here about people doing this.
Once i Moved my Reef, my rocks got Spoiled in High Temps and Air pump also got offline. With Rotten Rocks, my Po4 started leeching around .8 but Thx i had Phosphate Rx which after use over a month (weekly Use) Po4 Started Coming as. 1 to .2. After Few .inths Leeching Stopped and now its Easily Controllable with few drops of Po4 Rx ex Blueline.
i have always had a problem with high phos. around 1-2 . i have also used many different foods based on their phos levels I now feed Mysis and fresh mostly and have been for a while. but my phos has still remained between 1-3 ppm.

I also practice reduced feeding habits. That's hard . they all look hungry.lol

I have used phos rx rapid phos, the pads, nopox, gfo, chem clean and so on. they do the job but a few months later im right back to 1-3. it's odd because I really put an effort into reducing them and trying to keep them low. my tank is happy and fine but i do believe that it affects coral growth.

i have also read here that people dose items for several months to a year in an effort to remove phos that leaches from our rocks.

so my question is how do you maintain your phos levels? do you auto dose something? what do you use and how often? does anyone auto dose anything? I'm kinda getting feed up with this roller coaster of .5 then back to 1-3 ppm for example.

i want to auto dose something like seaklear. i have read a lot of success stories here about people doing this.
Once i Moved my Reef, my rocks got Spoiled in High Temps and Air pump also got offline. With Rotten Rocks, my Po4 started leeching around .8 but Thx i had Phosphate Rx which after use over a month (weekly Use) Po4 Started Coming as. 1 to .2. After Few .inths Leeching Stopped and now its Easily Controllable with few drops of Po4 Rx ex Blueline.

Attachments

• 20220123_191656.jpg
    20220123_191656.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 15

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have recently started using lanthanum chloride (Pool Time Phosphate Remover from Home Depot). I tried to be conservative with feeding, multiple 25% water changes, and RowaPhos with very little change.

Admittedly in the last week I have dropped the phosphate fairly rapidly, hopefully I don't suffer too much. The bounce back is very real. I would say at least 12-24 hours are needed to get a reasonably good idea of the new equilibrium.

One month ago my phosphate was sitting at 1.2ppm, today it's down to 0.23ppm. I'm going to try to hold it around 0.1ppm for a bit before trying to go lower. So far I like lanthanum chloride much more than the RowaPhos, but we'll see what happens to my corals in a few weeks.

mrtallbear86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reactor. It’s kept it in check for the most part. I find myself changing it every 2-3 weeks. And my filter socks and skimmer once a week. I feed heavy though. My corals and fish seem much happier and I am about .02 phosphate.

Back