How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby?

How involved is your spouse/significant other with your hobby?

• Not a fan. He/she probably wishes I’d find a different hobby. The word "obsessed" may have been used

Votes: 96 11.1%
  • Indifferent. He/she basically ignores the tank. No real interaction.

Votes: 113 13.1%
  • Encouraging. He/she likes that I like it. Might even go to the LFS with me.

Votes: 223 25.9%
  • Slightly involved. Not gonna do any “heavy lifting,” but he/she will feed the fish occasionally.

Votes: 218 25.3%
  • Pretty involved. We share tank tasks some, and they are learning the hobby.

Votes: 66 7.7%
  • Full-on reefer. We’re a reef team when it comes to designing and maintaining the reef!

Votes: 48 5.6%
  • MAKE IT STOP! I think he/she needs an intervention. The word "obsessed" comes to mind.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • I'm Single. Nobody to judge my reef spending or time spent obsessing over 'just a fish tank'

Votes: 89 10.3%

• Total voters

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my tank at work, but she and daughter love seeing it when they come by. We have a small Betta tank at home, but would love to have a reef at home eventually. She is understanding that sometimes I need extra time at work or go in on weekends to do some maintenance. I come home late, no questions asked just as long it's salt on me and not lipstick

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as I don't volunteer info on how much I'm spending my husband likes it. When he asks "how much was that coral" I say "ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies" hehehe
tumblr_ouyvjpMTcQ1qd838bo2_1280.jpg

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband will help carry buckets of water, he built a killer light fixture, and overall will help me with any tank gadget. He will listen while I ramble on about the different things. I know he listens because when we have friend over he tells them about all the tank inhabitants. ;)
I do all the maintenance, feeding, measuring, dosing, etc.

penguin_free

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single, so no one to nag me about my hobbies... but a couple spoiled canine kiddos get pretty jealous when I'm working on the reef tanks. I have to be somewhat careful when messing with the sump, or I'm liable to get knocked over by a 14 month old Rottie.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife is only involved when I travel and loves to tease me about the tank. I'll ask how it looks and she'll say "eh, it's alright" Ill reply shockingly and she'll laugh. EVERY SINGLE TIME!

as long as our kids have everything they need and I dont empty the bank account, she's cool.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single here, my Ex used to go nuts over me working on my tank but I could sit in front of the TV or read a book and that was fine. Something had to give. Result happy to be single again. Happy days :)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife helped plan/design our system - peninsula used as a room divider in our house. After that, she claims to not have any interest. But she has pointed out things that I didn't even notice and certainly lets me know when I forget to clean the glass! And heavens' forbid if something happens to her Rasta colony or tube anemone. But she's not interested at all.;)

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started on my own then my wife started poking around and now she's invloved in everything but the maintenance. I'm letting her scape it, pick out most fish and corals so she is really into it now.

*K&AreeFers*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are a team she spends as much time with the tank as i do. But due to the length of her arms most intank things i need to do. Its not do to her not wanting to do it thats for sure.

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a salty for about 15 years now and the last couple of years my wife has really started to show some real interest in the reef. We are in between homes and tank (building both) she is asking a lot of question about the corals and fish we are going to keep. She is more into the fish with LPS side of thing and I am more into SPS. She asked if after the home and the 220 gal is up and running can we do an fish and LPS tank (I just thought I loved her before lol).

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"You come home and look at your tank before you look at me"
"If you get an eel i'll kill you"
"I'm going to fry your fish"

That's my wife. But she secretly likes the tank and don't mind the hobby.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought our first tank for my husband's 50th. I never imagined that I would be the one to become addicted to this hobby. He feeds the fish and cleans the glass and sand. I did the aquascape and picked all the corals and where to place them. I do all the research with the help of Reef2Reef. We both sit and watch the tank nightly, although I'm usually right up front with magnifying glass and flashlight. Hahaha

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is great, she feeds the tank in mornings, and can do basically anything needed and willing to. She has names for all the inhabitants.

As long as no more insurance claims from me flooding, shes very cool.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is great. She will go the LFS, listen to me talk about my research or what else I want to try in the tank, she will help with an extra pair of hands on projects. I had fresh water fish on and off before being with her and when she said "I want a salt water fish tank, but a really nice one"
I aim to please.
And if she ever gets frustrated with the tank I tell her she wanted it.

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We both enjoy our tanks. She wasn't sure about the water changing system I made at first, but now doesn't want to go back to buckets. Loves the corals, and I make sure they get fed.

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife doesn't mind it, she enjoys the tanks here and there. But overall, I do all the work. Her family and our little boy like the tanks more. But she doesn't call me obsessed even though I am ;).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back