How long do you go without seeing pistol shrimp while molting ?

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that it’s common for a pistol shrimp to hide while molting. My shrimp isn’t the most social creature in the world, but he usually comes out to eat and I haven’t heard him today. I’ve had him a little over a month. I’m assuming he’s molting. How long do you normally go without seeing a shrimp while this is going on?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine survived for multiple tank changes and rock cleanings for 25 years before I killed him some how, probably sealed him in a rock faced in sand.

was 2" long and clear and I saw him once on accident when I tore the tank down. Once in 25 years.

Gone now, i dont hear the tap tap tap on glass at night anymore

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pistol shrimps in my tank and I have not seen them once or a molt since I put them in the tank about 9 months ago.

I only know that at least one of them is alive by the occasional popping sound. My goby doesn't seem interested in either of them.

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is with a goby I see alot more but 3 days would not be unreasonable for it to hide.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my goby daily, but my pistol I only see every couple weeks. Couldn't even tell you if it's molted or not, but would assume it has as it has gotten bigger.

I only know its still alive by the popping in the AM. They originally set up shop in a corner under a rock, but have since moved homes to under a cave, and I barely see them.

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with them moving from where I could see them to where I can not its a bummer.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not uncommon for me to go a week without seeing my pistol shrimp. Like one of the other posters said I can hear him making a popping sound sometimes and I see all the sand he moves around.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (had?) a red banded pistol I've seen just a few times since I put him in the tank several months ago with a Yasha goby. Haven't seen/heard him in weeks so suspect he's gone but never know. When I had the tiger snapping shrimp with the YWG always saw them they're just too big and the tiger digs too much too miss. I'll go with them again next time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back