How much HOB is too much?

Camthias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey reefers
I've got a 50 gal Hagen tank. Currently running an hob reef octo skimmer, hob seachem media filter and hob uv sterilizer. I understand it's a lot of clutter but I really don't mind. Anyway I want to add an hob refugium but my concern is tank/glass failure do to weight on the back glass. Thoughts? Personal success or tragedies?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into the same issue prior to upgrading to a larger reef system with sump. I built a small frame behind my tank to rest my HOB equipment off of. Everything wasn't equal height so built it for the heaviest equipment (HOB Fuge) and mounted reactors to it where I could. That being said, yes, I would worry about the pressure on the tank. At the very least I would imagine the seals would decline in longevity.

OP
OP
C

Camthias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a bad idea you got there. I too plan on upgrading in the futur but I move around too much right now too upgrade.
Got any pics of your support system by chance? I've got a couple ideas in that regard but curious what worked for you.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, unfortunately I do not. Honestly, all it amounted to was a frame (square) built of 2x4's cut to the height to support equipment. If you go this route, you can cut out the top (where your equipment would rest) for varying heights. This way, if your fuge is short, but skimmer is long, both can rest against the frame vs the back of the glass. The only real issue is if you have enough room behind your tank; you may need to drain and move the tank, or just use smaller lumber to build your frame. 2x4's aren't entirely necessary, but I had enough room for them and it was a piece of mind knowing it was strong enough to support my equipment.

OP
OP
C

Camthias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on! Thanks for the advice, I think I can make it work with that. Looking forward to seeing some more pods in the tank for my scooter!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back