how much soda ash to mix?

pgooden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am getting more serious about my testing/dosing regime. I was using Ocean's Blend 2 part and I was reading about Randy's 2 different recipes and decided to by the BRS 2 part supplies because Randy mentioned in other posts that they use his recipe.

I planned to use recipe 2 because I am regularly above 8.3 and frequently above 8.4 during the day on my PH according to my apex. I was mixing up the 1 gal jugs and I noticed that BRS provides soda ash, not baking soda. Can I use soda ash for recipe 2? their instructions are, I believe, for recipe 1.

I am not a chemist or mathematician so the math is making my head hurt...please advise!

OP
OP
pgooden

pgooden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so after more reading it appears soda ash is what you get when you bake the baking soda for recipe one and I would assume it isn't as easy as just using 1/2 the amount of soda ash to achieve recipe 2 levels and prevent the PH swings. The reason I wanted to use recipe 2 is that I was dosing 60 ml part1 and part2 (trying to slowly raise my Calcium) of Ocean's Blend in my 65 Gal total system volume tank (I am estimating I have about 55 gal net but, if anyone has an idea how to estimate TSV with rock and sand added, I am all ears) and it was causing my PH to go to 8.48 8.5 temporarily before the lights came on. Then it would settle in to 8.38 - 8.42 range during the day.

Is the easiest solution just to go to the grocery and get some A&H Baking Soda?

Thanks,
Shane

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to make the recipe with normal baking soda to keep pH from rising, follow my directions as stated, using baking soda and calcium chloride. Don't try to change the concentrations. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back