How to easily drain brute cans - mixing station

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an easier way to get the last gallon or two of saltwater out of a brute can without unscrewing unions and dumping it upside down?

IMG_2312.jpeg IMG_2313.jpeg

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the brute cans is they don’t have a flat bottom. The lowest part is the outer channel which is 2.5” wide so the sicce utility pump wouldn’t fit in that channel.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you sure?
I got 3 Brute cans (3 types) plus the Sicce,
no issues,
edit, I do see the lip you are talking about on the 33g tho

image.jpg image.jpg
I have the 20g brute cans which I believe have a smaller 2.5" outer channel than the larger ones. Even if the sicce utility pump or another pump could fit in that channel it's still not an ideal solution. I use a hard-plumbed external pump to send water from the basement mixing station to my 2 tanks. Ideally I'd like that pump to be able to pull 98% of the water out without having to use any additional pumps, shop vacs, etc. I'd like to find a way to install a downward facing bulkhead in the lower outer channel of the brute can and connect it to the hose that leads to the display tanks.

JamesB74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thier this may sound like a silly question, but i wanna set up mixing station , What is the best way to preclean a 20 gal brute trashcan to be set for the Ro/Di and salt mix . Thank you in advance for the help.

OP
OP
RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thier this may sound like a silly question, but i wanna set up mixing station , What is the best way to preclean a 20 gal brute trashcan to be set for the Ro/Di and salt mix . Thank you in advance for the help.
I used dawn soap and warm water. Make sure to rinse well.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want to completely empty the brute if it's a mixing station? I have the same issue, about 4 or 5 gallons left behind. I simply just fill back up with RO/DI and add salt again.

It's not like salt water goes bad.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an easier way to get the last gallon or two of saltwater out of a brute can without unscrewing unions and dumping it upside down?

IMG_2312.jpeg IMG_2313.jpeg
Grind your 90 down on the bottom bulk head so it just leaves like a 1/8” gap on the bottom when fully twisted down.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plumbed brutes have not had dry bottoms in maybe a decade. Don't know why you ever need to get every last drop out. My RODI one should always be full and the one with salt just gets refilled after I use the last of the water.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with many of the others. It doesn't matter to me if I get all of the water put. My rodi brute is also an ato container and stays full. The brute for salt mixing gets filled again as soon as it's emptied so I have it full at all times in case I need it for an emergency.

Dont plumb them and use a submersible pump. Then when you have 1-2" of water left tip them over. Been doing it this way for over 2 years. We need to stop overcomplicating things. Keep it simple.
Exactly how I do it if I need every drop. I'm the only point of failure.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pump to suck out as much as possible, then just throw in a bunch of beach towels to soak up what's left and they go straight into the washing machine. I've only done this once over three years (I only have 10 gallon brutes as my tank is a 15 so I don't need much :grinning-face-with-sweat:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back