OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magma and uranium?! your tank must be spectacular!!!!! Too bad you'll never be able to get within a mile of it. Do fish and coral fluoresce under extreme radiation?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but only when the lights are off. They absorb the light like a solar cell in the day time. To counter the uranial side effects, just squirt lemon juice up your nose. At this point that's the best thing you can do regardless

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI there is not a single steel that will not corrode in a salt water environment. Some will corrode less than others, but they will all corrode. The chemical makeup of the stainless used in those screws may be deemed as not harmful in a certain sized tank, but they will corrode.

I understand there are several grades, the wiki link I posted for your reading enjoyment gives a nice simple breakdown of each grade if you'd like to learn more.

True, but...

The point is only that some SS is safe within our context. You aren't likely to see it much, so I doubt it's worth worrying about - just stick with the general recommendation to use plastic clamps and plumbing vs metal (which nobody has said otherwise...chicken wire comments aside) and you are pretty much safe.

Also FWIW...the "stainless" pipe clamps you might see at a hardware store are barely resistant to humidity, let alone direct saltwater exposure. By comparison, there is no visible sign of pitting or hairline corrosion, etc even on my oldest Mag pump's screws. (~13yrs) Eventually? Maybe...but it appears no time soon.

-Matt

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most entertaining thread I have read yet. LOL!
images.jpeg

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mcarrol must not be dosing uranium I his pump still works haha! Very good points, stainless steel can be safe. I have a few metal clamps, but I found that my fan blowing near them keeps the humidity to a minimum. Plastic clamps are a thing of the Internet. We don't have local anything besides household plumbing an what not.

There's plastic fence out there. My garden is wrapped in it. Don't know what kind of plastic but it could work. What if you set up your rocks with a fence to keep big nippers out?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of attitude in this thread.

Please, re-read what you are about to post, things will often come off differently on a screen than they would in real life.

Also, leave out the personal attacks.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you'd prefer we'd all post all friendly like? That we should check and double check prior to pressing the "send button"? Be more concerned about our tone... Post with less attitude?"
I'm guessing you'd prefer this board serve only its baseline purpose? To share our knowledge and experiences in the hobby and learn from others lessons and mistakes? Leave all personal issues, perceived or otherwise, on the sidelines and interact in the spirit of respect and friendship?

Please, re-read what you are about to post, things will often come off differently on a screen than they would in real life.

I edited your last sentence -- sure you know why.

Last edited by a moderator:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems all valuable contributions have ceased here, much like this thread now.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trex has a point everyone. One thing people tend to forget when texting, emailing, or typing on forums, tone of voice and sarcasm are very hard (if not impossible) to convey via written words. Many times a person's words can be taken the wrong way which in turn causes an escalating form of bickering which is nowhere near constructive or has any value what so ever. Reef 2 Reef is a family oriented community where reefers of all ages should be able to go to find and share information without the fear of written retaliation and attacks.

So you'd prefer we'd all post all friendly like? That we should check and double check prior to pressing the "send button"? Be more concerned about our tone... Post with less attitude?"
I'm guessing you'd prefer this board serve only its baseline purpose? To share our knowledge and experiences in the hobby and learn from others lessons and mistakes? Leave all personal issues, perceived or otherwise, on the sidelines and interact in the spirit of respect and friendship?
Below me.

If you want my honest answer to the questions posted... Yes I expect people to be "all friendly like" and keep in mind how their words can be taken on the forum. Attitude is OK to a point, but sarcasm and attitude can quickly turn to personal attacks which are not needed nor wanted. Personal issues should not be addressed within the threads of Reef2Reef and should be dealt with outside of the forum.

So let's see this thread go in a better direction from here. Let's just all be friends and get along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back