How to Quarantine

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added my first livestock to my display. No quarantine was done. Livestock was a bonded pair of Gladiator/ DeVinci clowns. A beautiful and healthy pair I might add. They came from Sustainable Aquatics and were guaranteed disease free straight from the hatchery. I'd like to keep things this way. Yes, I took a chance and all other livestock will go through a full prophylactic quarantine. I bought a 20 gallon long, aquaclear 50, heater, power head, bubbler, ammonia badge and a 9 inch Wave Point Blade HO LED. "For quarantining corals later on" Meds bought so far are copper power and general cure. Next purchase will be a Hanna high range Copper checker and some biospira. The quarantine will be over 10ft away from DT. Nothing will be shared with main system until after the quarantine process is over and it's thoroughly sterilized and dried for a few days. Everything used will stay dedicated for quarantine use during this timeframe. I've read about aerosol transmission and was wondering if make up water for water changes should be stored away from the quarantine? And also items like hoses and nets? I would like to have my brute next to the tank ready to go with lid on it. It's on a dolly so it could easily be wheeled elsewhere. Or should I keep it in a separate room and only bring it next to the quarantine when a water change is needed? Like after finishing meds and such. I guess if the 10ft rule is followed then anytime you used anything for quarantine it would have to be stored and sanitized at least 10 feet away. Maybe I'm being overly cautious and thinking into it too much. Any thoughts or opinions from anyone on this would be great

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also read that Fiji pink doesn't absorb copper meds which is great to know for sand burrowing wrasses and such. Any small amount of substrate I use for quarantine will be discarded. I suppose you could bleach it, rinse it , let it air dry and then reuse it.

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all different Eq for my qt down to the buckets and nets.
. Keeping everything separate for quarantine use only is definitely the best way to do things for sure. I am just wondering about aerosol contamination if you happen to have your saltwater mixing reservoir fairly close to the Qt.. I wonder if people actually sterilize things like a dedicated qt vacuum per say and keep it 10 ft away before using it again on the same Qt tank. I'm thinking sterilizing and drying before reuse would be the best practice. That way there's no chance of reintroducing anything. I guess follow the same guidelines as the TTM without actually doing the TTM. Hmm

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Keeping everything separate for quarantine use only is definitely the best way to do things for sure. I am just wondering about aerosol contamination if you happen to have your saltwater mixing reservoir fairly close to the Qt.. I wonder if people actually sterilize things like a dedicated qt vacuum per say and keep it 10 ft away before using it again on the same Qt tank. I'm thinking sterilizing and drying before reuse would be the best practice. That way there's no chance of reintroducing anything. I guess follow the same guidelines as the TTM without actually doing the TTM. Hmm

I keep it all in the boiler room away from all Dt Eq. Saltwater mixing is in the laundry room. My qt is less than 10’ from my Dt sad to say fingers crossed I never had an aerosol issue.

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 45 gallon all in one I purchased. Decided to get a bigger tank with a sump for my DT. I think I’ll just keep the JBJ as a permanent QT. It’s pretty big for a QT but I guess less worrisome regarding ammonia as I’ll probably not QT more than 2 fish at a time.

Will this work as a QT?

What about biological filtration? I have some pond matrix but seems like medicating would be problematic. Could I just use bioballs and seed with biospira or dr tims? Seems like they’d be decent for an AIO QT but wanted to get your thoughts @Humblefish

Thanks.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clark griswold You could use a foam/sponge for biological filtration in the back chamber:

p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

Or @Big G reports using Fluval Biomax in the presence of copper with no noticeable absorption. I've had similar results using Seachem Matrix: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/seachem-matrix-for-qt-use.363132/

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clark griswold You could use a foam/sponge for biological filtration in the back chamber:

p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

Or @Big G reports using Fluval Biomax in the presence of copper with no noticeable absorption. I've had similar results using Seachem Matrix: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/seachem-matrix-for-qt-use.363132/

Thanks for that link. Encouraging results. It’s my understanding that pond matrix is the exact same as matrix but larger. So do you think that could be used in conjunction with CP treatment?

Or is a sponge preferable? I’ve been looking for some sponge large enough to fit the large overflow chambers of this tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

@Humblefish has been the inspiration for so many people in this hobby. So I logged the performance of Fluval Biomax, and it was good to go. No noticeable absorption of copper during QT.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious ever run this Chloroquine Phosphate?
Nope. Could not find a vet in the rural area I live that even knew what CP was never mind write a prescription for its use. But I can't imagine that if Fluval Biomax didn't absorb a compound that has such a strong chemical attraction as chelated copper that it would absorb a compound like CP at a higher rate. But I am guessing here. Best of luck.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that link. Encouraging results. It’s my understanding that pond matrix is the exact same as matrix but larger. So do you think that could be used in conjunction with CP treatment?

Or is a sponge preferable? I’ve been looking for some sponge large enough to fit the large overflow chambers of this tank.

I use Pond Matrix which I always have in the sump of my display tank, so constantly seeded. Never had any copper absorption issues.

I also never re use the stuff. If I tear down the QT after treating some fish I dump the matrix in the trash.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first QT has been semi-successful. I lost my yellow eye kole tang due to velvet but the tomini is doing well and is just wrapping up copper treatment. He will be moving to a socialization box in my DT on Sunday.

My question is, should I entirely break down my QT tank, clean it with vinegar and let it dry before adding new fish? I'm ready to start my next round of fish through QT so I was thinking of just a 100% water change, wipe down the tank, clean heater/PVC caves/plastic air stones with vinegar (outside of the tank), keep the air driven sponge filter "live" with bacteria, and adding freshly mixed saltwater. Are there concerns with this plan? I can clean the whole tank but my main objective is to keep the sponge filter. It's not a cost issue with replacing the filter, I would just like to not have to re-cycle the tank before starting my next round. Do the sponge filters like https://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Bacto...rds=sponge+filter&refinements=p_85:2470955011 absorb copper? Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first QT has been semi-successful. I lost my yellow eye kole tang due to velvet but the tomini is doing well and is just wrapping up copper treatment. He will be moving to a socialization box in my DT on Sunday.

My question is, should I entirely break down my QT tank, clean it with vinegar and let it dry before adding new fish? I'm ready to start my next round of fish through QT so I was thinking of just a 100% water change, wipe down the tank, clean heater/PVC caves/plastic air stones with vinegar (outside of the tank), keep the air driven sponge filter "live" with bacteria, and adding freshly mixed saltwater. Are there concerns with this plan? I can clean the whole tank but my main objective is to keep the sponge filter. It's not a cost issue with replacing the filter, I would just like to not have to re-cycle the tank before starting my next round. Do the sponge filters like https://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Bacto-Surge-Density-Filter-Large/dp/B00GOFPX9I/ref=sr_1_4?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1529609030&sr=8-4&keywords=sponge+filter&refinements=p_85:2470955011 absorb copper? Thanks!

The only problem is velvet tomonts could still be active inside that sponge filter, unless you left it in copper for 6 weeks. So, when you set everything back up (and no copper is in the water), said tomonts could release free swimmers which will infect any new fish you add to the QT.

Being you know you had an active velvet infestation, I personally would sterilize everything with bleach and just start over. You can buy this to quickly reseed that sponge (which will not absorb copper BTW): https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean-BIO-Spira-Treatment-Aquariums/dp/B003ODDS5E

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is velvet tomonts could still be active inside that sponge filter, unless you left it in copper for 6 weeks. So, when you set everything back up (and no copper is in the water), said tomonts could release free swimmers which will infect any new fish you add to the QT.

Being you know you had an active velvet infestation, I personally would sterilize everything with bleach and just start over. You can buy this to quickly reseed that sponge (which will not absorb copper BTW): https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean-BIO-Spira-Treatment-Aquariums/dp/B003ODDS5E

Thank you for the quick response! For future knowledge, if I had not had a velvet infestation, would my plan have been ok to keep QT up and running between batches? For my current situation, should I just get a new sponge filter vs trying to bleach the sponge? I will definitely be reseeding with bottled bacteria if I clean or use a new sponge, I usually use Dr. Tims.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response! For future knowledge, if I had not had a velvet infestation, would my plan have been ok to keep QT up and running between batches? For my current situation, should I just get a new sponge filter vs trying to bleach the sponge? I will definitely be reseeding with bottled bacteria if I clean or use a new sponge, I usually use Dr. Tims.

Using a new sponge would be optimal, because it would probably take a few days for all of the chlorine to evaporate out of the old one.

Unless you encounter a problem, it's fine to reuse your QT setup in-between batches fish for at least a couple of months. However, after that I recommend sterilizing everything and starting over to prevent biofilm from forming and breaking down medications: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

Biofilm isn't really a problem with copper & praziquantel (only because prazi works so quickly); but if you were ever to encounter a bacterial infection in QT, biofilm would likely degrade ABX before they could provide lasting benefit to the fish.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a new sponge would be optimal, because it would probably take a few days for all of the chlorine to evaporate out of the old one.

Unless you encounter a problem, it's fine to reuse your QT setup in-between batches fish for at least a couple of months. However, after that I recommend sterilizing everything and starting over to prevent biofilm from forming and breaking down medications: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

Biofilm isn't really a problem with copper & praziquantel (only because prazi works so quickly); but if you were ever to encounter a bacterial infection in QT, biofilm would likely degrade ABX before they could provide lasting benefit to the fish.
Thanks again! My QT plan typically takes about two months between getting the fish comfortable and eating, administering Prazi, then administering copper by raising levels slowly. The biofilm or "seasoning" of the tank as I'd call it is what I wanted to keep but now I know it is harmful so I should be cleaning everything and using a new sponge to re-cycle the tank with each QT batch. Thanks again!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back