Huge Heart ache.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so about a two months ago my alk went from it's usual 8.3-8.5 to an insane 16.8. I'm guessing it was my jebao doser as that is the only reason I can see as I don't dose myself anymore. everything seemed to be okay till about a week or two later, as I brought the alk back down when I noticed the Alk burned tips starting to show and then it went straight to RTN and STN. I sent in an ICP and everything came back in range other than my nitrates and phosphates which are usually 2-4 and .05-.1. They were 14 and .15. the only other "thing" was tin. I don't really know of any information if it's good or bad or whatever but it was 7.6 so I put in cupizorb and hopefully it has gone down. I lost all of my sps but nothing else (clam, inverts, lps, etc. Nothing was effected) It's been about two months now since this incident and I have upgraded to multiple nero 5's and DOS for my two part. So after all that, I am wondering do you guys believe it was just and has been residual effect of the alk going so high even when i was able to bring it back down before all the dying started?
It has been so stressful and I feel horrible for trusting a 60 dollar doser on my corals that were beautiful Small colonies (baseball size) of acropora, monties, etc.

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so about a two months ago my alk went from it's usual 8.3-8.5 to an insane 16.8. I'm guessing it was my jebao doser as that is the only reason I can see as I don't dose myself anymore. everything seemed to be okay till about a week or two later, as I brought the alk back down when I noticed the Alk burned tips starting to show and then it went straight to RTN and STN. I sent in an ICP and everything came back in range other than my nitrates and phosphates which are usually 2-4 and .05-.1. They were 14 and .15. the only other "thing" was tin. I don't really know of any information if it's good or bad or whatever but it was 7.6 so I put in cupizorb and hopefully it has gone down. I lost all of my sps but nothing else (clam, inverts, lps, etc. Nothing was effected) It's been about two months now since this incident and I have upgraded to multiple nero 5's and DOS for my two part. So after all that, I am wondering do you guys believe it was just and has been residual effect of the alk going so high even when i was able to bring it back down before all the dying started?
It has been so stressful and I feel horrible for trusting a 60 dollar doser on my corals that were beautiful Small colonies (baseball size) of acropora, monties, etc.
If you need any other information on the system or any other data points let me know

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was most certainly what caused it.

Corals, specifically SPS can be fine for a while, then all of a sudden start to die. It wasn't because of something that happened yesterday or even last week, it was because of something that happened weeks to even months ago.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, are you sure the doser caused the Alk spike by overdosing? Or did your corals stop uptaking Alk while the doser carried on dosing correctly?

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, are you sure the doser caused the Alk spike by overdosing? Or did your corals stop uptaking Alk while the doser carried on dosing correctly?
Yes, they I'm sure as they were still growing. I was cutting frags and getting them to heal in about 4-7 days

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the help and assurance that it was the swing. I've been so stressed over this and it helped me to just relax. So again, thank you. Just have to add some little starter nubs again and see happens.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back