Hydra 26 HD flashing red

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 new Hydras have been up and running for couple of days with no issues. Today I decided to do some cable management and unplugged the lights for half an hour. They came on on schedule and stayed on fine for several hours but then my parent light has gone off several times during the day and is flashing red. If I power off and, on the light boots up fine and stays on for up to an hour and then switches off again, with the blinking red light.
These are brand new light which came with my Reefer 250 Deluxe. Any ideas?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you look and see if the fan is running? If the light works for an hour and then shuts down, it sounds like its getting hot and killing power to prevent overheating. If the fan is running then I would try doing a master reset. Pull the power cord from the light, push the button, and while pushing the button plug it back in and continue to hold the button for 5 to 6 more seconds. the status light should flash red, blue, green. You will have to resetup your lights again, if that doesn't fix the issue i'd contact AI and see what they say.

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you look and see if the fan is running? If the light works for an hour and then shuts down, it sounds like its getting hot and killing power to prevent overheating. If the fan is running then I would try doing a master reset. Pull the power cord from the light, push the button, and while pushing the button plug it back in and continue to hold the button for 5 to 6 more seconds. the status light should flash red, blue, green. You will have to resetup your lights again, if that doesn't fix the issue i'd contact AI and see what they say.
Thank you. The fans are not running at present on either light but I've recently powered the problem light of/on so it doesn't feel as hot as the light that has been running fine. I will continue to monitor the fan.

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a weird one. I have been monitoring the fan for 2 hours and it hasn't been on. I am only running at about 30% as no corals yet. I've just checked the fan and felt the heat of the light (not too hot and fan not running), taken 2 steps away and the light has gone off. Checked the fan and it is now running???

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that this is a heat issue as my light has just shut down right at the end of the ramp down where the lights were hardly on. Tried the factory reset with no success.

OP
OP
Pennywise the Clown

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea are swapping out my faulty Hydra 26. Great service from them.
I moved my remaining light to the centre of the tank and it ran fine for 4 hours, then started to flash on and off and then went out completely and refused to come back on. Then 2 hours after going off, it came back on for 30 seconds and has gone off again. The light on the back of the unit is solid white, and the fan is permanently running. The light randomly comes on for a few seconds, the fan stops. The light goes back off and the fan starts running.
The unit is totally cool to touch, no heat coming off it at all.
Never had this trouble with halides :(

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back