Hydros Controllers…..

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hydros but no experience with other controller brands.

From someone newer to controllers, I can say that the hydros is definitely not too hard to setup. Coralvue does have some helpful videos on YouTube.

As for issues, I have not had any yet. I have the X4, XP8, and wave engine along with the battery backup. I was hesitant to use any WiFi power bars because I just do not trust them.

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hydros but no experience with other controller brands.

From someone newer to controllers, I can say that the hydros is definitely not too hard to setup. Coralvue does have some helpful videos on YouTube.

As for issues, I have not had any yet. I have the X4, XP8, and wave engine along with the battery backup. I was hesitant to use any WiFi power bars because I just do not trust them.
Do you have to use a hydros wave maker? Not sure what the wave engine does or its capabilities

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to use a hydros wave maker? Not sure what the wave engine does or its capabilities
You can think of the wave engine as a power supply controller combo that works with a variety of pumps. You can control Gyres, Octopus Pulse pumps, and VarioS Pumps directly without a power supply. Other pumps can be controlled through 0-10v. You can also use 0-10V to control some lights like the small Kessils and the CoralCare LEDS.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just see a lot more Neptune issues on the site than Hydros issues….amd more people selling Neptune equipment than Hydros equipment….
As @rtparty stated, there are exponentially more Apex users than Hydros users so you are going to find/hear/see proportionately more issues.

My only issues with equipment have come from the age. Have an EB832 going out but it is close to 8 years old, had ends of cables slowly corrode...all age of equipment issues.

The program language is play IFTTT and the prompts now help load what a user needs. I do find Neptune support to be hit and miss on whether you are going to get a friendly staff member or not, sometimes they're quite terse.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can think of the wave engine as a power supply controller combo that works with a variety of pumps. You can control Gyres, Octopus Pulse pumps, and VarioS Pumps directly without a power supply. Other pumps can be controlled through 0-10v. You can also use 0-10V to control some lights like the small Kessils and the CoralCare LEDS.
Correct. You do not have to use a wave engine. I have 4 gyres on my tank. So I had 2 controllers, power bricks and plugs powering a pair of pumps. With the wave engine, I was able to eliminate the controllers and power bricks and plug ins. The wave engine has as many modes of flow as you want and is now powering the pumps. Another cool thing is that I have an ice cap battery backup connected to the wave engine. If power loss is detected, it automatically powers what I choose. In my case I have 1 gyre set to just move some water for oxygen.

Each hydros piece of equipment can be a standalone controller with exception of the wave engine if I’m not mistaken. So you could actually start off with only an XP8 power block if you choose to. Obviously you’re limited on what you can control with one piece but nonetheless it is still a controller on its own. So an XP8 would allow you to run anything that plugs in. And you could add on as desired by adding new pieces to a “collective”. You then would have 2 or more pieces that work together but if one was to break, the system keeps on going because now you have more than one that could be the brain.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the X4 package to run their ato setup. I got rid of the wifi strip, purchased the X8 and haven’t had a problem with my hydros dropping off , updates easily and is a constant. My mp10s, skimmer, heater, rtn pump, fan, Ats and Ats light, ATO are all on this system. I was an Apex user, Hydros is easier for my setup. Very happy with the Hydros set up and collective.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydros and I am very happy with it. And yes at this time the only controller with a salinity port is the X10 but it also has a pH port, 2 drive ports and 4 sense ports. It also has built in 4 precision dosing pump. I use 2 X10 dosing pump to dose my All For Reef and a KH buffer using the alkalinity readings from the iV. I also use the other 2 dosing pumps for my fill pump and reagent pump for the IV. One of the drive ports is used for a simple doser for the drain pump on the iV. The other drive port is used for the iV stirrer. The pH port is used for a pH probe in the iV. I also have the conductivity port used with a salinity probe in the iV. At the beginning of every alkalinity test it will also test the pH and salinity so you get pH, salinity and alkalinity reading.These are sampled readings and will not change until the next test but you can still use them. If they were not in the iV then you can get realtime readings but the iV needs pH to do the alkalinity testing so if you do that you will need it in the iV. I have all 4 of the sense ports in use. One is used for a leak detector, one for a flow sensor, one for sump water level and one for a temp probe. The X10 is just one of the controllers in my collective. I currently have 14 controllers in the collective but I have quite a bit of automation including controlling my RODI and mixing station.

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydros and I am very happy with it. And yes at this time the only controller with a salinity port is the X10 but it also has a pH port, 2 drive ports and 4 sense ports. It also has built in 4 precision dosing pump. I use 2 X10 dosing pump to dose my All For Reef and a KH buffer using the alkalinity readings from the iV. I also use the other 2 dosing pumps for my fill pump and reagent pump for the IV. One of the drive ports is used for a simple doser for the drain pump on the iV. The other drive port is used for the iV stirrer. The pH port is used for a pH probe in the iV. I also have the conductivity port used with a salinity probe in the iV. At the beginning of every alkalinity test it will also test the pH and salinity so you get pH, salinity and alkalinity reading.These are sampled readings and will not change until the next test but you can still use them. If they were not in the iV then you can get realtime readings but the iV needs pH to do the alkalinity testing so if you do that you will need it in the iV. I have all 4 of the sense ports in use. One is used for a leak detector, one for a flow sensor, one for sump water level and one for a temp probe. The X10 is just one of the controllers in my collective. I currently have 14 controllers in the collective but I have quite a bit of automation including controlling my RODI and mixing station.
iV ? I went and tried to look that up…. I’m thinking an X8 Couple power bars is looking good…x10 are too expensive….

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iV ? I went and tried to look that up…. I’m thinking an X8 Couple power bars is looking good…x10 are too expensive….
I assume you are talking about an XP8 since there is no X8. The XP8 has 8 AC outputs and no inputs at all. If you want to control with anything other than a timer you will need a controller that has some inputs with it in a collective which would require a command bus cable and at least one terminator. Two terminators is all you would need per collective.

The iV is a vessel used for alkalinity testing that holds a beaker, pH probe and salinity probe. It also has the stirrer built into it.

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are talking about an XP8 since there is no X8. The XP8 has 8 AC outputs and no inputs at all. If you want to control with anything other than a timer you will need a controller that has some inputs with it in a collective which would require a command bus cable and at least one terminator. Two terminators is all you would need per collective.

The iV is a vessel used for alkalinity testing that holds a beaker, pH probe and salinity probe. It also has the stirrer built into it.
Ahhh…ok. Thank you

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotal experience here, but I recently setup the Hydro's X4/X8 with two wave LE controllers running 4 Icecap Gyres and have had an overall good experience. I would agree that for the most part the setup process is rather intuitive. There were a few head scratchers here and there but nothing that I couldn't find the answer to online or through the Hydro's FaceBook group. This was my first ever controller purchase and setup, and for the longest time I was leaning towards setting up an Apex. Ultimately, what made my change my mind was the significant amount of poor reviews for the Apex equipment not lasting very long, specifically the energy bar which some people have had to have replaced several times. For that kind of money I do not want to go through warranty exchanges several times a year; no thanks.

On a side note, if you are the kind of person that likes to display their tech and equipment, the Hydro's controllers look significantly better than the Apex (IMO), especially with the different LED light options you can select for the controllers. I do not know if Apex has any wave pump controller type functionality, but the ability to control the pumps with the Hydro's Wave Engine with a variety of flow times, intensities, times etc. is fantastic.

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotal experience here, but I recently setup the Hydro's X4/X8 with two wave LE controllers running 4 Icecap Gyres and have had an overall good experience. I would agree that for the most part the setup process is rather intuitive. There were a few head scratchers here and there but nothing that I couldn't find the answer to online or through the Hydro's FaceBook group. This was my first ever controller purchase and setup, and for the longest time I was leaning towards setting up an Apex. Ultimately, what made my change my mind was the significant amount of poor reviews for the Apex equipment not lasting very long, specifically the energy bar which some people have had to have replaced several times. For that kind of money I do not want to go through warranty exchanges several times a year; no thanks.

On a side note, if you are the kind of person that likes to display their tech and equipment, the Hydro's controllers look significantly better than the Apex (IMO), especially with the different LED light options you can select for the controllers. I do not know if Apex has any wave pump controller type functionality, but the ability to control the pumps with the Hydro's Wave Engine with a variety of flow times, intensities, times etc. is fantastic.
What light work with Hydros, or is there specific lights?

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume any light on a timer type setup would work with the x
XP8 power block also. Now don’t quote me, but I think a hydros kraken can be used too at minimum for the power source.
Not sure about getting the Kraken…don’t know enough about it….but I’d like to get the iV but don’t believe the x4 handles that…

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about getting the Kraken…don’t know enough about it….but I’d like to get the iV but don’t believe the x4 handles that…
The kraken is basically just a power supply on steroids. So it can power a ton of things. If you are considering hydros you should check out their web site and you can compare what each product is capable of.
Me personally I started with the X4 pro pack. And here’s a tip…. If you order from @TopShelfAquatics you can get free overnight shipping, points for rewards to use towards coral or etc, and probably for a lower price after you factor in everything like taxes and freight.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back