Hydros Controllers…..

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the Hydros controllers? I currently have GHL set up and it’s way too scientific for me. So I was thinking of switching over to Hydros…..

60 gl cube
Lps dominant
Deleted skimmer
15w Uv
C02 scrubber

Any feedback would be cool…. Thank you
Michael

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from Apex to Hydros on my home tank and will hopefully be putting out a video soon. I have been very happy. I can give you the good and the bad having used Apex for over a decade and Hydros for about 2 years here at the office. Can't tell you much about GHL

Pros
  • Price.
    • I can't tell you for sure Hydros will be cheaper, but it usually is, especially for accessories. Neptune AFS is $115.99, Hydros feeder is $34.99. Neptune Dos is $349.99, Hydros Dosing Pumps are $59.99 each.
  • More Intuitive UI
    • I have been using Apex for 10 years and it comes easy to me but I do think the average person will prefer programming in Hydros. No coding and a lot more preset tasks built-in.
  • Better probe calibration
    • I am really liking the ability to add an offset to the probes. I am diligent in calibrating but I still find my pH doesn't match my color metric pH test and I trust the color metric more. I like being able to add a slight off set to match. I also like the 2 point salinity calibration.
  • Unique Sensors
    • There are some unique sensors with hydros you can't get with other systems. I like the skimmer sensor, Rope Leak sensors, and TDS meters. I don't know of another manufacturer who has these.
  • Redundant brains
    • I have seen whole controller systems die when a brain went out. It is nice to know that with Hydros the programing and internet connections are spread out. I haven't had issues yet to test the redundancy but it does add some peace of mind.
  • Wireless modules
    • I just set up automatic water changes that take water from my garage. I want a sensor to turn off the dosing pump by my tank when the saltwater container in my garage is low. With other systems I would need to run a wire through my walls but not with Hydros.
  • Better Sensors
    • The IV Salinity monitoring is WAY better than Apex. The apex salinity probe was a nightmare to use but the salinity probe in the IV has been rock solid. I also like the Hydros Alk testing better than the Trident. The reagent is very affordable and the whole system is easier for the average reefer to maintain.
  • Bluetooth
    • I kept a display module on my Apex just so I could turn things on and off when the internet was out. It is nice that you can do this via Bluetooth with Hydros.
  • Easy Sharing
    • As someone who does product support. It is much easier for customers to share their system with me and let me look for problems. Not big for most people but I like it.
  • Built-in Audio Alarms
    • I like audio alarms for really bad things like leaks and I like that they are built into all of the Control modules and you don't have to buy something separate.
Cons
  • The user base is not as big so you have a harder time finding people who can help you out. There is also less used gear around if you are into that.
  • There are some things I like better about the Neptune dashboard. I like the reminders and test result logging that can be added to Fusion and I like the 3 position switches vs the tiles of Hydros.
  • There are some sensors that other manufacturers have that Hydros doesn't. No Calcium and Magnesium testing, no PAR meter, No dissolved Oxygen, and No graduated water level sensor.
  • Integration. Depending on what products you use you may find they integrate better with other controllers. You can now use Kessil, AI, and Ecotech lights with Apex but not Hydros. Some Hydros Items can work with Apex but not the other way around.

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from Apex to Hydros on my home tank and will hopefully be putting out a video soon. I have been very happy. I can give you the good and the bad having used Apex for over a decade and Hydros for about 2 years here at the office. Can't tell you much about GHL

Pros
  • Price.
    • I can't tell you for sure Hydros will be cheaper, but it usually is, especially for accessories. Neptune AFS is $115.99, Hydros feeder is $34.99. Neptune Dos is $349.99, Hydros Dosing Pumps are $59.99 each.
  • More Intuitive UI
    • I have been using Apex for 10 years and it comes easy to me but I do think the average person will prefer programming in Hydros. No coding and a lot more preset tasks built-in.
    • I am really liking the ability to add an offset to the probes. I am diligent in calibrating but I still find my pH doesn't match my color metric pH test and I trust the color metric more. I like being able to add a slight off set to match. I also like the 2 point salinity calibration.
  • Unique Sensors
    • There are some unique sensors with hydros you can't get with other systems. I like the skimmer sensor, Rope Leak sensors, and TDS meters. I don't know of another manufacturer who has these.
  • Redundant brains
    • I have seen whole controller systems die when a brain went out. It is nice to know that with Hydros the programing and internet connections are spread out. I haven't had issues yet to test the redundancy but it does add some peace of mind.
  • Wireless modules
    • I just set up automatic water changes that take water from my garage. I want a sensor to turn off the dosing pump by my tank when the saltwater container in my garage is low. With other systems I would need to run a wire through my walls but not with Hydros.
  • Better Sensors
    • The IV Salinity monitoring is WAY better than Apex. The apex salinity probe was a nightmare to use but the salinity probe in the IV has been rock solid. I also like the Hydros Alk testing better than the Trident. The reagent is very affordable and the whole system is easier for the average reefer to maintain.
  • Bluetooth
    • I kept a display module on my Apex just so I could turn things on and off when the internet was out. It is nice that you can do this via Bluetooth with Hydros.
  • Easy Sharing
    • As someone who does product support. It is much easier for customers to share their system with me and let me look for problems. Not big for most people but I like it.
  • Built-in Audio Alarms
    • I like audio alarms for really bad things like leaks and I like that they are built into all of the Control modules and you don't have to buy something separate.
Cons
  • The user base is not as big so you have a harder time finding people who can help you out. There is also less used gear around if you are into that.
  • There are some things I like better about the Neptune dashboard. I like the reminders and test result logging that can be added to Fusion and I like the 3 position switches vs the tiles of Hydros.
  • There are some sensors that other manufacturers have that Hydros doesn't. No Calcium and Magnesium testing, no PAR meter, No dissolved Oxygen, and No graduated water level sensor.
  • Integration. Depending on what products you use you may find they integrate better with other controllers. You can now use Kessil, AI, and Ecotech lights with Apex but not Hydros. Some Hydros Items can work with Apex but not the other way around.
Thank you….thats the info I was really looking forward to..to make a decision…I’m sure others have good opinions and bad ones….but I used Apex as well as wasn’t enthused, don’t want to have to code ….I want simplicity,I just want Ph and salinity checks….basically. Thank you for the pros and cons.

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pros
  • Price.
  • More Intuitive UI
  • Unique Sensors
  • Redundant brains
  • Wireless modules
  • Better Sensors
  • Bluetooth
  • Easy Sharing
  • Built-in Audio Alarms
Cons
So what are some good lights to use with Hydros?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pros
  • Price.
  • More Intuitive UI
  • Unique Sensors
  • Redundant brains
  • Wireless modules
  • Better Sensors
  • Bluetooth
  • Easy Sharing
  • Built-in Audio Alarms
Cons
RE you comments about better sensors and the Salinity sensors. The salinity probe is only compatible with the $800 X10 controller. It will not work with any of the other systems. Not going to buy an X10 just to add salinity probe. Its part of why I was so ticked it took over a year to release the X10 I had been waiting and waiting and waiting to start using Hydros for when the X10 came out but had an issue and I needed to switch over a month before they released the X10.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s that mean?…lighting thing I would assume?

They are implying I am biased and work for Aperture who owns Neptune. I don’t though. The CoralVue guys love to follow me around and spread lies though. They never admit their involvement with CoralVue though which is always ironic.

I spent $1500 on Hydros equipment. Was all set to leave Neptune for many reasons. I had 4 WiFi bars and 2 XP8s die. I had faulty pH readings from day one and my halides were blamed by CoralVue for that. I had non stop WiFi drops. Like 40-50 every day for over a year. Bought all new router and a dedicated adapter to only broadcast 2.4ghz to the Hydros. Still had drops galore. Had my neighbor, who was my ISP and is a networking genius, come look at everything. He could see exactly what was happening and it wasn’t my equipment dropping. It was the Hydros every time. He tried his best to help and concluded it was cheap WiFi chips.

My Apex in the exact same spot has 93% strength and has never dropped once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are implying I am biased and work for Aperture who owns Neptune. I don’t though. The CoralVue guys love to follow me around and spread lies though. They never admit their involvement with CoralVue though which is always ironic.

I spent $1500 on Hydros equipment. Was all set to leave Neptune for many reasons. I had 4 WiFi bars and 2 XP8s die. I had faulty pH readings from day one and my halides were blamed by CoralVue for that. I had non stop WiFi drops. Like 40-50 every day for over a year. Bought all new router and a dedicated adapter to only broadcast 2.4ghz to the Hydros. Still had drops galore. Had my neighbor, who was my ISP and is a networking genius, come look at everything. He could see exactly what was happening and it was my equipment dropping. It was the Hydros every time. He tried his best to help and concluded it was cheap WiFi chips.

My Apex in the exact same spot has 93% strength and has never dropped once.
I just see a lot more Neptune issues on the site than Hydros issues….amd more people selling Neptune equipment than Hydros equipment….

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just see a lot more Neptune issues on the site than Hydros issues….amd more people selling Neptune equipment than Hydros equipment….

That’s because there is 1000x more Neptune out there. It’s like saying there is an issue with Honda Civics because you see more for sale than most cars. Of course there are more people selling, more people bought them.

Neptune is far from perfect. They need to seriously change some things up. But my own experience has been way better with Apex compared to Hydros

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE you comments about better sensors and the Salinity sensors. The salinity probe is only compatible with the $800 X10 controller. It will not work with any of the other systems. Not going to buy an X10 just to add salinity probe. Its part of why I was so ticked it took over a year to release the X10 I had been waiting and waiting and waiting to start using Hydros for when the X10 came out but had an issue and I needed to switch over a month before they released the X10.
I total get it. However, you might find that the overall cost of a system from a different brand favors Hydros. I went with 2 XP8s, and X10, the IV and a salinity probe. This was $1619.95. If I had gone with an apex I would have gone with an A3 Apex Pro, a trident and an extra eb832. $1925.97

I know these aren't exactly the same but they are comparable systems. No salinity monitoring with Apex, no ORP monitoring with Hydros, No Calcium and Magnesium monitoring with Hydros, No Dosing pump for automatic alk dosing with Hydros, ect.

On average I think Hydros is cheaper but that doesn't mean it is right for everyone. There are still some features I like better with Neptune. Most of them are software features that I hope Hydros will get in the future, but I like the new graduated LLS sensors a lot and will miss them.

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because there is 1000x more Neptune out there. It’s like saying there is an issue with Honda Civics because you see more for sale than most cars. Of course there are more people selling, more people bought them.

Neptune is far from perfect. They need to seriously change some things up. But my own experience has been way better with Apex compared to Hydros
I get it…they flooded the market, I just have had negative issues with Neptune….not all bad, but enough to make me sell the system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back